Sign in to follow this  

blew crank seal/fouled carb up

A few weeks ago I posted about shimming my valves to get through one last Hare Scramble. Well the shimming got me through, but I ended up blowing the crank seal and blowing my 2nd place in points as I DNFed. All of my trans oil leaked into the engine side and way overfilled it causing it to load up the air box. It was so bad that it oil fouled the plug causing the DNF. Anyhow I`ve got the seal replaced, but do I need to remove the carb and clean it internally? I would assume the fuel would wash the oil away and not be neccesary?

I pulled ours and cleaned it.

Remove that vent tube from the air boot and re-route away / down and away. Plug the hole in the air boot.

Yaeh I figured it would be best to clean it. I was just trying to be lazy.

Bodyman, When you re-route the vent hose, do you have to put a filter on it to keep the dirt out or what?? I don't think it should be plugged because the crankcase has to vent..could be wrong??

Most put a filter on it. I just dumped it down and hung thru the shock linkage. I guess in dust conditions you can suck dirt up it but those old 283 Cheveys with the open breather in the side of the block lived forever.