Sign in to follow this  

Stripped Float Bowl Screw

I was wondering any ideas as to how to the the float bowl screw which is stripped ( allen head ) on mr wr off ? could i take a file to it and make it flat on two sides and use a crescent wrench to get it off and go to a bolt supply store and get a new one ? does anyone knoe the exact size of this screw ?

thanks

Try the allen wrench and vice grips at the same time. Maybe a slightly larger allen lightly hammered in. If not go buy a bolt extracter.

I have some mini (3" or so) channel locks that work great for stripped float bowl screws.

I did the same thing so I grinded a notch in it with a dremel for a flathead screwdriver.

I always do that if I can. East sure fire way to remove stripped screws. (if you dont have a lot of torque on it)

I just did the same mod to my 2004 YZ250F.

My float bowl screws stripped after using a Phillips head. Those damn screws are soft as butter. Doh! Do not use a Phillips, use the correct Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) screwdriver to remove the screws.

To remove the stripped screws, I attempted to use needle nose vice grips to no avail.

So I pulled out the Dremel and cut a straight line across the screw head. Give a quick wack of a hammer on the end of flathead screwdriver and this will remove the screws NO PROBLEM.

When replacing the screws, you will want to use an a Metric stainless steel Allen-head screw.

The correct size for the float bowl screws is M4 x 0.7 x 12mm. That means the diameter is an M4, the thread size is 0.7 and the length of the allen head screw is 12mm. 

Float Bowl Screw Size: M4 x 0.7 x 12mm

-Mac

2004 Yamaha YZ250FS

Stock Exhaust and Stock Air Box