Sign in to follow this  

Flume Trail (1-4)? - The Hard Way...

Had a slight :banghead: -up Sunday and went over the edge on the narrow rocky portion 1-4 (think it’s called the Flume trail). The metal guard rail thing stopped my bike from gaining any momentum and it only went down about 5 feet before it stopped. I, on the other hand, had the distinct joy of falling/rolling about 30 feet down the side. Nothing like being airborne and tumbling at the same time – and somehow missing one of those metal flume tubes in the process. I finally was able to grab enough terra-firma to stop my momentum just before the hillside pretty much dropped straight down. Somehow I only got a bruise on my lower back and a stiff neck today. Bike was absolutely fine. It kicked over on the first kick. Thought for sure I would have at least busted up a radiator.

Luckily my buddy and I had met up with three other riders right before this. It took all five of us to get the bike back up on the trail. Man, was I glad for those guys 🤣🤣🤣:banghead: – but I felt like an idiot for going over the side!

Moments like that are the reason that hand-held cameras were invented. Please tell us you got a pic...

my buddy went over the dash on the big rock about 1/4 mi past that spot.it was both funny and disturbing.I've stepped off my ride a few times on the spot you did.now I know what happens if you go over.

you're lucky indeed. glad your safe. were you not being cautious? is this the main flume trail or the special round the point part with that 4' lip up section with a sheer drop off? when we ran that we had two guys standing there to catch anyone, but you mentioned pipe so I think you mean the main flume trail

Glad you made it out allright. If it is where I think it is, that could have been real ugly.

From all of the metal tubes that lined the trail I am guessing it was the main flume trail. From the map it looks like 1-4 not too far from the deep water crossing. It was right at the spot where there are the 10” high metal guard rail things that look like bike ramps lying on their side.

I am always a very cautious rider and this was just a stupid screw-up fluke. I came up and over a small rock outcropping and put on the breaks because I was closing in on the rider ahead of me and I wanted to keep good spacing on that trail. When I slowed coming around the curve my momentum was going towards the downhill side so I put my right foot down. Unfortunately it was a very narrow section of trail and there was nothing to put my foot down on. I was right on the edge and the momentum just took me right over.

Luckily the bike didn’t go too far. Crazy trail – I bet it is a real doozy when the rocks are wet.

Tree