Sign in to follow this  

Shaving Weight

Just got a brand new '06 E. Any ideas for shaving weight, besides a Ti exhaust? I'll mostly be doing offroad trail riding, but may plate it for more flexiblity. I'm not complaining about weight, just wondering what others may have done to shave weight. It all adds up...

You've already got the lighter weight DRZ...

Yes...Ti Exhaust will lose some weight for sure (I think FMF has the lightest one although I think the Ti Yoshimura will give most H.P.)...

Then if you really want to lose weight (about another 10 lbs.)

Remove the electric start (Motor, gear, etc.)...Talk to NateThe Great about

this mod if you want to do it (he's done it on his "S")...

Those two mods should put your bike in the 240's...After that there's not much to save and you'll have to spend big dollars to do it...

Just make sure that if (you should) add additional protection to the bike (Skid plate, case covers, etc.) that you use carbon fiber as the aluminum alternatives will add back some of the weight you've removed...

There's got to be something else!! What about the odometer? Has anyone ever taken off their headlight and just put ducttape over the rectangular hole in the fering?

There's got to be something else!! What about the odometer? Has anyone ever taken off their headlight and just put ducttape over the rectangular hole in the fering?
I've removed the speedometer/odo as well as all the hardware around the headlight.

Ran the bike with no headlight at all a couple of times. Since then, I used silicone adhesive to glue my headlight right into the shroud. Just ordered a RM number plate and will lose the headlight completely for most rides.

This is the best weight loss thread we have, I believe. But it's for the S, not the E. Read it all the way through.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283325&page=1&pp=10

The E headlight doesn't weigh very much, so really just going to a number plate is the only option........but even that won't do much.

Those two mods should put your bike in the 240's...After that there's not much to save and you'll have to spend big dollars to do it...

Just make sure that if (you should) add additional protection to the bike (Skid plate, case covers, etc.) that you use carbon fiber as the aluminum alternatives will add back some of the weight you've removed...

It wont be even close to 240. My kicker with Yosh exhaust, headlight, odometer and taillight removed is about 255 without gas. I'd have to take the wheels off to get it to 240.

It wont be even close to 240. My kicker with Yosh exhaust, headlight, odometer and taillight removed is about 255 without gas. I'd have to take the wheels off to get it to 240.

And that's all I have to say about that! 👍