Sign in to follow this  

CFR250X 2005 Larger capacity fuel tanks-IMS or Clarke for cleanest install?

I am looking for a good extended range fuel tank for desert riding. Any input on the I.M.S. 3.9 gallon or the Clarke 3.0 gallon. Do not want to have to trim fairing. Which is the cleanest install?

I'd recommend not using a tank that replaces the radiator shrouds. There have been several posts from people that had broken radiators because you cannot install braces or guards on the radiator when you use these tanks. Also they protrude even farther than the stock setup, so if you drop your bike, the first thing to hit the ground is your new tank...the second thing is your radiator.

I've purchased the IMS big tank for another bike in the past. I sent it right back because it was just too huge, and looked like a saddle. I ended up going with two Clarke tanks and have had no problems with installation or function. Also the Clarke costs less.

IMS.

The Tank fits well but to be really honest...How far are you going?

During the V2R BITD Race, we got between 30 and 40 MPG.

That puts the Range for a Stock tank at nearly 90 Miles!

If someone would build me a Stock Tank in "Clear" with a Quick Fill, I would run that!

IMS fits well and holds up nice. If you Drain the Gas out before storing the Bike it will not get yellowed as quick. IMS customer Service is awesome too!

The clarke tanks fits great and looks good too. just remove some bolts and it slids right in...perfect! I have the 3.0 gallon but i think they make a 3.2 gallon tank for it now.

My first ride i put a 80 oz bottle on the front fender with gas. Used a rubber mat under the bottle and two hard 12" bungee cords to hold the bottle on. Worked great but didn't need it. Like the other guy said you can go a long ways on a stock tank.

I have a clarke also. Super easy to install and fit perfect. I had to make a minor mod to the forward mount to work along with my Scotts Damper post but that was it. I like it.