Contact lense problems when riding!?

Now that Fall is in full swing and the air is much drier, I have noticed that my contacts are apparently drying out as I ride and cause my vision to be severely disrupted. I went out to the track last week and even had to pull off the track a few times, even before completing a single lap! This is a big problem. It seems like the drier air is zapping the moisture from my lenses and causing them to shift around, or stick to the wrong spot on my eyes, causing major vision issues. After I stop for a bit, and blink a lot, I get them squared away and my vision is restored. But, as soon as I go another lap or so, they screw up again. I am wearing Scott goggles when I ride. Anyone else have this problem? If so, any suggestions? Lense maker change? Goggle change? Please help.... :banghead:

What type of contact lenses are you using? I switched over to AcuVue 2, two years ago and I am really happy with them. They are a lot thinner than most lenses and don't seem to dry up. The other brand of lenses I was using would dry up and shift around on me and I did not have to be riding for that to happen.

The only trouble I have with these lenses is that because they are so comfortable I forget to take them out.

While riding, I wear Oakley O Frames. I also use RENU (Made by Baush and Lomb) lubricating drops. The drops are great for really dry/dusty riding.

Yeah, that is the second plug for acuvue's I have heard lately. Maybe I will ask my optomitrist for a trial pair. My current lenses are a generic lense. Cheap, but not worth it if they are going to cause these stupid problems. Thanks for the replies!

I know that Visine has a product out for contact wearers that works real well. It's super slippery. In fact if I put that stuff in my eyes I have troouble getting my contacts out because they are so slippery that I cannot get a grip on them with my finger to pull them out. I think that a drop now and then throughout the day would really help you.

Good luck :banghead:

Make sure you are blinking as you should, more if needed. Mine do the same sometimes during a HS. I am not sure if the air movement is causing it or I am forgeting to blink for a bit. Temp or humidity seems to have nothing to do with mine.

If your wearing no name brand contacts go get some new ones. I like to wear the 2 wk disposables and If I can I always try to wear a fresh pair when its riding day. If I don't then I bring them with me in case I need them. I like the renue rewetting drops the best aswell.

I also find that I go through goggles a little quicker. Once the foam gets too matted the dust gets in and too much air. I wear scott high voltage II goggles

I used to use the Acuvue 2 and I experienced the same problem while roadracing. They'd get dry, cloud up, get stuck out of position.

I talked to the optomitrist about it and she gave me some Acuvue Advance lenses to try out. They seem to do a lot better, especially in dry dusty conditions.

last week I rode at elsinore track and my contact popped out all evening long, like three times, I was pissed, I was wondering that the best thing was to help them not dry out. I wear the scott high voltage and it has great air flow, just a little too much with contacts. I was thinking about using some apoxy and filling a few holes to stop so much air from coming in.