Sign in to follow this  

what bike did your DRZ replace ?

Well, it's been a while since I've been in the dirt. I started my motorcycling life on a '79 Yamaha GT80 when I was 5. Upgraded to an '83 Suzuki SP125 when I was 12. Rode both those bikes into the ground then went to street riding. Have had numerous street bikes since then and just recently bought my '05 SM. It didn't replace anything, just another addition to the family but I do think I'll be riding it more than anything else in the garage :banghead:

It's going to sound strange, but the bike that my 04 E replaced was a Kawasaki Concours. I found I wasn't touring long distance anymore and wanted to get a dirtbike to ride with my 5 year old on his PW. The DRZ fit's the bill perfectly, great for around town and in the dirt too. Last dirt only bike I had was a 1986 CR125.

Mine was not a replacement, but an addition. I plan I getting a XR or something for my son and needed one to ride with him. At least that is what I tell myself. I think I just needed an other toy.

This probably seems a little strange, but this is a photo of my last bike...

biker06.jpg

But I've had about a dozen dirtbikes over the years too, and I just wanted to get back to the fun of trail riding. Hence the move from the mighty Vmax to the DRZ.

I replaced my 03 Super Sherpa with an 04 DRZ S. The Sherpa just felt too small for my 6'2" frame. The DRZ fits much better. The Sherpa was a great bike though once I shimmed the needle and jetted it correctly. Got me back into motorcycles after a 20 year hiatus :banghead: I love the DRZ400S sooooo much more. Many more goodies available to buy for it :banghead:

I replaed a RMX250 with my DRZ. Actually I brought the DRZ while I still had the RMX, but it stayed in the garage all the time. The one time I took the RMX out instead, I wished I took the DRZ. This is my first Dual Sport, alway owned off road or MX bikes converted to off road. Not counting my 72 DT125 I had in the early 80's, my first bike...

This probably seems a little strange, but this is a photo of my last bike...

biker06.jpg

I want one.

the bike i had before the drz was a '96 sporster.... had it for about a year, saw the drz and never looked back

Never sell your bikes. Just buy more!

There are days when I definitely miss Mighty Max!

:banghead:

It didn't replace any bike. I didn't have a street legal dirt bike b4 the DR-Z. Love both the DR-Z and the KDX 220 in my stable. :banghead:

Mine replaced a YZ426.I wanted my green DRZ because it was rideable at lower speeds for riding with the family and still would get up and go when I ride with the guys. Also the electric start doesn't suck at all.

Replace? I don't understand.

Never sell your bikes. Just buy more!

-

Amen Brother! :banghead: The DRZ was an addition to my 1994 Ducati 900 SS, and my 1998 Ducati 748/853, and my gf's Suzuki GS 500. I have since added the KTM Duke and the Vertemati 501 SM and got rid of the 748/853.

I will probably sell the GS 500 in spring, and I am considering selling the DRZ S and replacing it with a new SM (and adding dirt wheels). And I plan to buy the Aprilia SXV 550 in street legal trim when it becomes available.

The DRZ was/is my first off road bike and it has ruined me for street based bikes.

Mike

And I plan to buy the Aprilia SXV 550 in street legal trim when it becomes available.

Mike

I guess we are going to bump into each other at the Aprilia dealer, because I'm supposed to be the FIRST name on their "call list" when the first one shows up! :banghead::banghead:

It's gonna be an animal....🤣

*Ahem* -- you'll get to hear it running, as I drive away down York Rd.....🤣

I had my 2001 GS500 totalled by a 75 year old woman this summer, I am fixing to pull the trigger on a new drzsm... Been lurking and reading here for months... great site :banghead: