Sign in to follow this  

a tweaked axle

i finally got fed up with holding the bars right to go straight on my XR400R. last night i took off the front fender, light and number plate so i could see where the misalignment was. i hopped on and putted down the street. the forks are straight, triples look good, fat bars look good...but the front wheel is crooked to the left! now i am wondering if i put a sleeve or spacer in wrong? i have never had (even heard of) this problem before. what do you guys think?

Silver -

You may have heard this before, but more than a few of us on have taken a digger only to find our front tire misaligned with the handlebars. The first thing you think is that you've bent your bars, but upon further examination you notice that it's not the bars. It's happened to me twice in two years...bars pointing straight and wheel pointed a few degrees to the side. Both times I was able to stand in front of my bike and while straddling the front tire between my knees, yank on the bars and re-align them with the front end. Some folks suggest loosening your triple clamp pinch bolts, but on both occasions I was able to correct the problem out on the trail without the need to do so. Perhaps this is the issue with your machine.

Silver -

You may have heard this before, but more than a few of us on have taken a digger only to find our front tire misaligned with the handlebars. The first thing you think is that you've bent your bars, but upon further examination you notice that it's not the bars. It's happened to me twice in two years...bars pointing straight and wheel pointed a few degrees to the side. Both times I was able to stand in front of my bike and while straddling the front tire between my knees, yank on the bars and re-align them with the front end. Some folks suggest loosening your triple clamp pinch bolts, but on both occasions I was able to correct the problem out on the trail without the need to do so. Perhaps this is the issue with your machine.

yes i have loosen the triples and tried to twist the bars straight. this is not the problem though. the front wheel is not square inside the forks. the bars, triples and forks are all in alignment.