Sign in to follow this  

New Rider thinking about Brushy

Hey Guys

I've been using the DRZ forum for a while, but hadn't look at this section until recently. I noticed that a lot of you guys are going up to Brushy Mt. It is about a 30 min. drive for me, but I don't know much about the place other than what the web site posts.

I have a DRZ dual sport and am wondering if you guys think that it would be too technical of a place for a 300 pound bike. I've had other bikes in the past that I wouldn't ask such questions about, but sometimes this thing can get a bit cumbersome. I've ridden it a few times at Brown Mt. staying away from the really tight stuff like the 2 trail and the really technical 9 trail. I realize that I'm sounding a bit like a puss, but I don't want to get up there, tear stuff up and then get stranded because I can't ride home.

Thanks in Advance

Brendon

You should be fine. Get a map when you first get there and ask them what they recommend.

I took my son on his CRF50 to Brushy about a month ago. We put in 35 miles, so surely you can find some good riding that will suit you.

He has been around #9 at Brown earlier in the year, but did not enjoy it too much.

Overall Brushy is maintained a lot better than Brown and has better facilities.

BTW: If that is you in your avatar, you will not have any trouble. :banghead:

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to take a look at it. It might be a great reason to rationalize another mx bike with the new track and stuff.

Yeah, that avatar is me from a couple of years ago, prior to breaking the smaller of the two bones in my lower leg and tearing up my knee. I loved that bike, but figured that I don't bounce like I used to. Actually that was why I got the DRZ in the first place.

Thanks again and mybe I'll see you up there some time.

Brendon

Brendon

I've got a DRZ400S, full knobies, rim locks, bark busters, Clark tank, and skid plate. I've ridden all the trails at Brown with my son on his XR80. He just traded up to a XR100 and I'd like to take him up to Brushy.

I just need to get that form and his birth certificate, get his Mom, (my wife) to sign the release and get it notorized. Such a pain in the rear, anyone know why minors have to go through so much hassle at Brushy? They must have been sued by the lawyer from Hell. Or they are owned by a lawyer that knows they could be sued.

They are just very very precautious. I believe now that they are just keeping some of the he** raising teens away. It is really a family oriented place.

I was dreading all the paperwork BS myself but I got it all together and laid it up on his counter. He looked it over and ran a few copies for his records. He said that it was good for a year and handed my son a pass. Easy as pie. :banghead:

Kids ride for free BTW. They have a kids only track and a family trail. My son insists that it is his favorite place that we have ever been and lucky for me it is only 45 minutes from my house. :banghead:🤣

Brendon,

I may have a chance to ride there on Saturday w/ my brother but it is a little early for me to be able to tell yet.

I'm not going to be able to hit it this weekend. I've got to do some house stuff. (We're moving) I appreciate the offer and will definitely try a different time. I'll keep checking the site and see if I can meet up with some of you.

Which direction are you from Brushy? You said 45 minutes.

Brendon

I am NEast from Brushy.

I hope to get in a lot more riding soon. I have not been able to this summer nearly as much as I wanted to. Check back in this section and I am sure that you can meet up with one of us. :banghead:

Anybody know how long it takes to get to Brushy from Asheville?

Anybody know how long it takes to get to Brushy from Asheville?

1.5 to 2hrs I would imagine

North East... I moved down from Boone about a year ago. Anyway, when it looks like I can head up that way I'll do a post and see if anyone wants to ride. Thanks

Brendon

Hopefully some of us are going to plan a trip in Nov., maybe the 2nd or 3rd Saturday. What do you guys think? I only have 2 more races then I'm free.

I'll check in again closer to time, but I'm going try to make some plans for the 19th also. It would be good to meet you guys.

Brendon