Sign in to follow this  

Tight intake valve

intake:

0.10mm-0.15mm

The middle valve excepted a TIGHT 0.102mm feeler gauge, spec is spec right?

Could this be shimmed, or why bother?

Well I'm in the same boat, my intakes are 0.10mm across the board. One of my exhaust is out of spec by 0.01mm. I'm reshiming it and while I have the cams out, I shall do my intakes as if they were 0.09mm. But you are right spec is spec, it is up to you.

Ataz,

First, realize what you're looking at in terms of a difference in clearance of .01mm; it's only .00039", 40% of 1 thousandth. With a "TIGHT" .102mm (2 microns different from .10) could your intake valve actually be at .08 or .09mm? Yes, it could. If it's TIGHT, you should shim it. How does a .003" (0.076mm) guage fit? That will tell you.

yamaha259,

Are your intakes a tight .10? Have they closed up from a larger clearance since the last check? If no to both, I'd be reluctant to change them.

I just checked my valves the other night and my intake are all a loose .10mm but .12mm would not fit. My exhaust valves are just about dead on .16mm

I took my $150 Digital micrometer to check my feeler gauge and there not dead on. My .102mm was really like .098mm If the .10mm is tight you may be out of spec for sure. Im only going to ride a few more times before I shim my valves and they where a good loose .10mm

Mike