Sign in to follow this  

Fork Seals

Anybody ever replace fork seals? Somthing i've never had to do, but after last weekend i've definatly got some seepage. Any input on how to, and what type of fork oil you run is helpful. 1997 Dr350 Dirt model w/ aftermarket springs all around.

for reference, i tried using a piece of pvc 2 1/2"x 24", cutting about 8 slots with jigsaw up one end 2 1/2", then using wire ties to pull the end down to the diameter of the seal to set them without damageing slider or seal, found the idea in a book, worked like a charm.

The PVC seal driver is the way to go. I also use the old fork seal put on upside down over the new one to help drive it in and prevent any damage to the new seal. I use BelRay fork oil, 15w most of the time but have messed around with different viscosities and levels.

there's a small wire clip that holds the old seal in, remove it carefully, not scoring the fork tube, then use some sort of hook/pic tool to remove the old seal. Then, as posted above, you'll need some way to drive the new one in and then put the little wire clip back in.