Sign in to follow this  

Cams rounding lobes?

Has anybody had a cam lobe problem on an 05,Lost three sets in 30 hours,

the factory cams are very sharp on the edges of the lobes , they actualy shave the lifters and then fail the lobe and gobble the bucket...seen it a dozen times. Try and polish very hard with 400 grit paper all around the lobes..and you can break the edge off the lobe a litttle. dc

I forgot to say I have used both hotcams and my stock cams with the same results the only common item was kibblewhite lifters each time,Are there any other options for cam and lifters to choose from? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Has anybody had a cam lobe problem on an 05,Lost three sets in 30 hours,

Check to make sure your getting good oil flow. If your using aftermarket buckets, they are harder than stock and are probably beginning to seize in the bore. That will cause the lobe to wear down. The buckets should not have enough resistance to wear out the cam, something is very wrong!

if the kibble buckets are failing it's because of a hardness problem and they might not be nitrided like OEM buckets. We only use OEM lifters and have zero problems. The lobes are sharp as a razor so watch those edges.......when we do a stock re build we micro polish the stock cams to a mirror finish and to take off the sharpness around the edges. Not a bad idea to weld the gear on the intake cam also for the 04',05' and 06'.

Not a bad idea to weld the gear on the intake cam also for the 04',05' and 06'.

Can you explain why this needs to be done?

I'll be ready for a top end soon and I don't want to miss anything. Thanks.

Can you explain why this needs to be done?

I'll be ready for a top end soon and I don't want to miss anything. Thanks.

The cam gear has been known to slip and can cause a real headache if that happens. So the welding allows the gear stay put.

The cam gear has been known to slip and can cause a real headache if that happens. So the welding allows the gear stay put.

What type of welder would I need to do such a thing?

Tig those cam gears on......big tack welds also not little baby ones. i have seen 11 bikes blow up this year from stock engines with stock cams that spun. ugly ...

Tig those cam gears on......big tack welds also not little baby ones. i have seen 11 bikes blow up this year from stock engines with stock cams that spun. ugly ...

Thanks!