Sign in to follow this  

2003 dr650 w/ Supertrapp IDS2

Hi, this is my 1st post. I just recently bought a used 2003 dr650.

It has a Dynojet 150 or 155 kit on it and a Supertrapp IDS2 exhaust. It currently has 4 discs in it.

My question: What are the minimum number of discs you can use in a Supertrapp IDS2 exhaust.

I am using this for 75% commuting/city riding and 25% fun. I want a good compromise between noise and power. I don't want to annoy the neighborhood as I come and go.

Thanks.

-Mike

yeah i'd probably say 4's the limit. heck i have 12 in mine :banghead:

I agree 4 is not very open. I just added #11 in mine (DJ 170 jet @500 feet above sea level) because it was a little rich.Screw the neighbors, that pipe is loud but nothing like the Harley's people still wave to. Keeping off the gas would probably do more than taking out discs. I ride out of my barn everyday w/o waking the wife and kids

:banghead: I have a 1993 DR650S my son gave me for fathers day this year, it has the pipe and jet kit you have and man it hauls. He had the race baffles and not the quiet core in the muff, it was too loud for me (I run 10 disc) so I took an automotive 2" connector, which has one end that slips over a 2" pipe and then tapers down to 2", I took the big end (2" inside dia.) and cut it at an angle to match the distance from the top disc, to the opening of the angled muff cap (the cap angles the pipe, so you have to match the angle of the outlet cap to make the pipe fit flush with the top disc), then I cut the 2" od end of the pipe to go just past my tag so as not to melt the fender. You have to take the end that fits against the discs, and drill holes all around the pipe to let the exhaust pass so it must be at least the area of the inside of the baffle. the end cap holds the adapter pipes' taper against it and the disc captures it with its lip. SAME power, less noise. I may not have explained this very well, but it works great. If you want to try this, it only cost about $5 to try, I would be glad to draw a pic and e-mail or fax it to you. I'm a 56 year old biker with four classic bikes, but my DR goes everywhere and I ride it the most. Good luck, let me know if you need the pic.

Peco9, if you don't mind, can you email me a picture? My exhaust had 8 discs but I pulled out 4. If I could go with your contraption, then I'd go back to 8 and keep the original power. I weigh 150 and even at 4 discs I got plenty o' power. Never been even WOT. I think I got your description but you know what they say about a picture.

michaelkingery at yahoo dot com