Sign in to follow this  

Stainless re-usable oil filter Worth it?

Having one more thing to clean might be better than prolonging an oil change because you are to lazy to drive down to the motorcycle shop and buy a filter for 11 bucks, or waiting to have them order you k&n ones for 5 bucks. I am definitley gonna pick one of these up, If you are using OEM honda filters it only takes 5-6 oil changes to pay for itself.

Dude!

My bad! Sorry, I didn't even read the thing. :banghead:

BTW

I ordered up 15 of the Hi-Flo filters off of Ebay for $32.00. They are pretty dang nice filters. I just don't trust that I'd get the stainless one clean enough.

I couldn't imagine getting one clean enough would be an issue, but then again i have a solvent tank at the shop, and sometimes i forget that most of you guys are doing it from the garage at home. Those stainless screens are really amazing though on what they stop, we use alot of old discontinued aerospace stainless screen fuel and oil filters in some of the high-performance boats we build, even on motors with 1000hp and up, they really are amazing, and we've never hade any trouble. Alot of the old timers that are are in our industry, guys that made serious breakthroughs back in the 60's and 70's (like the first turbo setups on chevrolets etc), swear by those things and complain about how they can't buy/find new ones anymore.

I got a stainless one for two reasons. One, I dont have to buy filters anymore and two, they flow more oil than paper elements. After about the 4th or 5th oil change you put the stainless one in and be done with it.

The first four or five filters you should cut open and read. I think my fifth one was completely clean, no debris at all. Which would be wierd except the trans isnt in the mix, so it's not that wierd when you think about it.

I picked up a stainless filter from a guy for 30 bucks off Ebay. He started making them himself. Its a good piece. Mine was a little "proto-typee" (the recess for the spring was more of a depression than a nice pressed recess) but it works fine.

The transmission is what produces all the crap you need to have filtered out of the oil. If the motor (engine side) is producing particles, changning the filter is the least of your worries...

Well worth the extra initial money.Saves alot in the long run.They not only last forever but the Scotts brand filters better than paper.The paper swells shut with use and restricts oil flow.Just look at one after you take it out.To clean a stainless steel filter all you need is a can of brake cleaner and compressed air if available.We have customers who spend $2000.00 + on 4 stroke motors and insist on the Scotts filters. www.mxtime.com

Got the Scott's Performance filter and it is great. Well, worth the extra money. Cleanup is even easier...The Scott's People told me just to use PJ1 Brake Cleaner...Cleans up in no time. :banghead:

I just got one of the Ready Racing filters about a week ago from the TT store and it rocks. I was worried at first, but it's a pretty trick little part. Because I was unsure how to clean it and what it would catch after I installed it I immedialtly did an oil change after my first ride with it. It isn't that hard to clean.

Just make sure you plug the ends so no elements can get in the inside and use solvent or gas, or like willyp19 brake cleaner.

Well worth it, pays for itself, and the cover looks nice also.

I bought the Scotts in 02 for my 02 450 moved it over to my 05 CRF 450,it's great I use contac cleaner to blow it out then use air to dry it before re assembly,I also have one for my 350 rancher 4 wheeler.

I got the Ready filter for all 3 of my CRFs, the cover worked great on the 250s but leaked on the 450. Make sure you start your bike after you install the cover and check for leaks. It caught me out in the woods when i noticed the leak, didn`t run low but just about. I but the stock cover back on, and no problems since.