Sign in to follow this  

Ripped seat cover

I have acquired a 1" rip or triangular shaped hole in my seat cover. How can I reapair it? Also I noticed there is an OEM original replacement seat cover or leather replacement seat cover both sold by Honda. Would the leather hold up better than the original material?

I would be concerned with how the leather would look after it got wet and muddy a few times. I got a leather jacket wet once and it was not appealing afterward.

An upholstery shop can probably fix the hole. Find one that does automotive interior repair. It shouldn't be a problem for them.

I have had luck bending the torn piece back, coating the affected area with RTV, coating the torn piece while it is peeled back, and then replacing the torn piece back to its original position. Smooth it out, wipe away the excess, and then let it cure before riding. It usually lasts about two years or so before having to be redone.

I have had luck bending the torn piece back, coating the affected area with RTV, coating the torn piece while it is peeled back, and then replacing the torn piece back to its original position. Smooth it out, wipe away the excess, and then let it cure before riding. It usually lasts about two years or so before having to be redone.

I did the same thing using the glue that comes with the Alpine boot sole inserts. After it dried, I went backa nd put another small coat over the rip iteslf. It has held for 2 years and still going strong.

What is RTV?

It is like silicone. Gasket maker. Fairly strong and flexible.