Sign in to follow this  

Weeping front sprocket seal

With my DR-Z 400 just coming up to the end of its warranty, I decided time was right to swap out the sprocket sleeve for a stainless item. Duly done, and inserting a new seal, I now have a slight weep from the seal area.

It could be a number of things, not least I may have snagged the seal when fitting it. But here's the real question -

Where does the O-ring go?

I didn't notice an O-ring when I dismantled the sprocket, but I bought a new one from the shop.

BF

It is inside the bore of the of the spacer. Did you put on a new spacer with no "O" ring? Then it would probably weep.

If you do a search, there are pics in here somewhere kindly posted by my mate valleysdrz with step by step guide :banghead:

Yes, what a tosser I've been!

Just looked at the old sleeve, just about 2 years old with about 10k road miles and 1k trail miles, which is in remarkably good condition. But it does have an O-ring stuffed up the inside. A little job for tomorrow night, methinks!

BF

Where did you get the S.S. spacer?

I bought mine as a one-off on eBay, but there is a guy in the UK who regularly advertises these spacers (with an O-ring and seal) for a little over £20. However, I've just checked and he doesn't have one on offer right now.

I'll report the eBay item number when he offers again.

BF