Sign in to follow this  

Silencer Issue

I was wondering if anyone could answer this question. What purpose does a silencer have on a 4-stroke ( just a slip on silencer). Does it give more horsepower or just make the bike sound better or both? And if so is it a much louder sound? Any input would be helpful. I was thinking about buying an FMF silencer, but I am not sure if it is worth the money. I don't really want to by a complete exhaust system if I don't have to. I am not looking for any drastic change in horsepower.

You will get a better change in performace by rejeting and doing the air box mod.

i believe that a silencer is for aftermarket exhaust systems. the aftermarket systems are very loud and you will not get into some parks etc. with a loud exhaust. or you may not like the noise yourself. the silencers drop the decibel level down making for a quieter ride.

k.

silencer is for aftermarket exhaust systems. the aftermarket systems are very loud
Isn't a loud silencer an oxymoron?

The aftermarket systems and cans flow exhaust gasses more freely. The trade off is they are generally louder because of less baffling/deadening to increase the exhaust flow. The sound level varies, depending upon which one you get. For instance, my bike has a Yoshimura RS3 slip on (i.e., muffler only) and it's pretty loud, but I don't ride where there are noise limitations. Typically, additional modification is necessary to realize much of the increase in performance, i.e., carb jetting and airbox modifications.

If you don't want better performance, why bother?

A silencer is what the English call a muffler, be it on a car or a motorcycle. Simple as that.

All the other discussions are concerning after market exhaust systems versus OEM exhaust systems.

Sometimes the discusson may concern header pipes as well as muffler (silencer), usually referred to as a complete system, or just the silencer (muffler) itself, referred to as a slip-on, but the term silencer has no special meaning regarding sound or performance and is simply another term for muffler (a word which, for some reason, motorcycle riders hate and refuse to use).

-