California Black Plate Registration?

I know this is off topic but you guys are very knowledgeable when it comes to dealing with registration in the Golden State.

I just got an all original California black plate 1968 Plymouth GTX with a 440 and factory 4 speed.

Anyway, I want to register the black plates but the DMV won't let me because I don't have the original title or registration. I do have paperwork showing the lien sale and in the paperwork it shows the DMV record with the original license plates issused in 1967 which are the same license plates that I have and are in really good shape.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ca DMV works in strange and mysterious ways. If the plate shows up in the original lien sale papers I don't see a problem...but then I'm a semi reasonable man. I've bought a lien sale truck before and got to keep the original plate. Was your car's license expired over 5 years? If so, that vehicle's plate and VIN number will get purged from the DMV system and if that happens a new plate would probably have to be issued. For some reason DMV doesn't like having the old plates around. I do know that it sometimes helps to "DMV shop", like going to a smaller outlining area DMV. Good luck.

Request a personalized plate with the same letters and numbers as your Black plate and then just run you old plate. And be nice to cops who stop you.

Brilliant idea! I think I will do that if they won't let me register the actual plates.

Ca DMV works in strange and mysterious ways. If the plate shows up in the original lien sale papers I don't see a problem...but then I'm a semi reasonable man. I've bought a lien sale truck before and got to keep the original plate. Was your car's license expired over 5 years? If so, that vehicle's plate and VIN number will get purged from the DMV system and if that happens a new plate would probably have to be issued. For some reason DMV doesn't like having the old plates around. I do know that it sometimes helps to "DMV shop", like going to a smaller outlining area DMV. Good luck.

Unfortunately, the car has already been purged from the system. I have tried to 'shop' a couple of DMV's with no luck yet. Thanks for the suggestions.