klx3oor or wr250

Hello to all.

I've just gotten started into off-roading and man I've got to say it's great. At the moment I'm riding my friends 1986 Honda 250r. Needless to say the bikes getting on in years and I now think I'm ready to get my own. Which brings me to my ?. Could anyone give me some pros & cons for each bike?(2005 models). The choice is really starting to get to me. I weigh about 190lbs and am 6' tall. The trails I ride on have a little bit of everything. Powerlines, sandpits,open stretches etc. Any help would be great. Thanks.

hvy1

My son rides a '01 KLX300 that is lightly modded. He went and rode with a friend that has a '01 YZ250 F. He now wants a 250F. He said the balance and suspension were better and it had more power. The downside was not near as much bottom end power.

I have a klx300 and my friend had a wr250. With the 300 I have way more power in the bottom and mid, and similar on top end. Mine has a White Brothers exhaust and a bigger carb, though. I like the klx for the lower seat height when in ruts and the much stronger bottom end power. The wr you will have to keep it reving high most of the time. With your height I would probably say go for the wr if you don't mind having to drive it like its a 2 stroke and rev it all the time. Its a newer design with better suspension. I wouldn't give my klx up, though!

i have ridden both and now own a 05' 300 with a few mod. exhaust, intake and jet kit..total cost about $300.... the 300 was made for off road from the ground up. and it shows.. you can work it slow through tight hard uphill sections or you can let it rip and have some fun.. all around great bike for the price.. i'm 6'2".. it's my first bike after using freinds bikes for about a year......good bike that will keep you happy for years

The KLeeneX is a good bike for trail riding, but if you are going to progress in your skill level or what technical level of riding you do, then the WR is a better choice. The WR is far more modern and is based on a racer. The KLX was an advanced designed trail/dual sport (in other countries) when it came out more than a decade ago, but has not kept pace with only one major or some would say minor updates.

Both are great, but in different ways. At your size though, you should consider a bike with a bigger motor because you'll probably want more performance later on. The problem with the smaller displacement bikes is they seem to be more adapted for smaller/mid-sized riders power-wise. They can be modded, but then you are spending money, time and effort on a bike that is not really designed for someone larger. For someone your size you'll need to eventually mod the motor and the suspension both on the 250f or the 300 to stay happy with it. That stuff costs money and can compromise the longevity of the bikes in unforseen ways, costing even more money later. At your size, you'd stay happy longer on a 400cc or larger 4 stroke. If money is not as much of an issue, think about the wr450. You probably won't ever mod it for power or suspension and they are pretty easy to ride, too. If you want to save money initially, look at used bikes - yamaha wr400-450, ktm 400-525, maybe even honda xr400's, drz/klx400.

As for the 300, if you read the posts in this forum, you'll see that a lot of people have had to do mods to the 300's with mixed results, and it's not necessarily cheap or easy! Just don't forget that the basis for overall performance on any vehicle is power vs weight(motor) and balance vs load(chassis), both of which are an issue on the smaller bikes if weigh more than 175lbs.

As for your original question, I have a klx300 and have ridden a yz250f. The klx is mellow and easy to ride with decent power to get through stuff. The yz250f is better in the following ways: lots of power over a good band, great suspension even for a motobike on trails, great brakes, very light. Keep in mind that a wr250f is heavier, softer sprung, mellower power, electric start (big plus). The yz was a 2002, and I liked it better than my klx as far as overall performance on the track and trails. Keep in mind though that I weigh 165lbs, so the motor and chassis on the yz is already designed for my bulk. Same will hold true for the wr250f, and to a greater extent the klx300.

Hey guys thanks for replys. I still have no idea which one I will eventually get. About ready to flip a coin.

bds_surf, as far as going bigger, I really don't see the need. The Honda I'm riding now seems to get me around well enough. Not to mention I don't think I'm ready just yet. How about maintence on these bikes. Amount of time, $$, etc. Also, how easy is it to get parts for the two?(I see the ground a little more then I would like to admit :banghead: ).

On a side note, do you guys think that we all look like this under our helmets :banghead: ?

On a side note, do you guys think that we all look like this under our helmets :banghead: ?

Yep. Except when I'm in over my head. :banghead:

If you can pull it off, your best bet is to ride each of these bikes. Up here most dealers will let you have a short demo ride at least on their lot. It's usually enough to get a feel for the differences and then you'll be able to figure out what's best for you.

Have fun and be safe with what the bike you pick.?

if u were myneighbor or riding buddy id talk u into the klx,,,mine is a 05 300,,all stock just got new fork springs and valves,,,cant wait to get the time to install them,,,but for all around riding,,the klx is great,,, :banghead: ud be happy with it,,,mine can make all the other colared bikes run for there money,,,did a hare scramble and had them all in my class doing this? kicked some non stock bikes butts,,, :banghead:

well hope u make a good choice,,,,just maybe u will join the team green,,,

good luck

rogerklx

05 klx 300

89 kdx 200

Hello to all.

I've just gotten started into off-roading and man I've got to say it's great. At the moment I'm riding my friends 1986 Honda 250r. Needless to say the bikes getting on in years and I now think I'm ready to get my own. Which brings me to my ?. Could anyone give me some pros & cons for each bike?(2005 models). The choice is really starting to get to me. I weigh about 190lbs and am 6' tall. The trails I ride on have a little bit of everything. Powerlines, sandpits,open stretches etc. Any help would be great. Thanks.

hvy1

I didn't see anywhere which 1986 Honda 250r you are riding. If it's an XR250R (4-Stroke), the KLX300 would be a great improvement. If you're riding a CR250R (2-Stroke), you'll want a 400cc or higher 4-Stroke.

The KLX300 is a great bike for the money. As with any other machine, you have to spend money on suspension and other mods. What makes the KLX so attractive is the low initial cost. The WR, CRF, etc start out $1000 - 1500 more initially.

I'm 5'10 and weigh 185. The KLX gets me around with plenty of power and the bike is easy to ride. You would have to change the front springs on the KLX to match your weight. That's about $100 if you do them yourself. Just doing the springs on mine made a huge difference in how the bike handles.

It really depends on how much you want to improve the bike. All you really need to make it pretty decent is the free mods, a jet kit from Dyno Jet or Four Stroke Works, and the new front springs. More suspension work would be my next priority.

It really is a fun bike. I ride a KLX400.(same as DRZ400). The 300 is much more fun to ride in the tighter more technical stuff. Since it's so much lighter it is a lot easier to toss around. I just wish it had the suspension the 400 has. That's the reason I would like to try a WR. It's a lighter bike with better suspension out of the box. Like has been said the bottom end power of the 300 is a strong point.

It all depends on what you want to use it for.....

If you want to go trail riding - even at a pretty good clip - get the KLX300.

If you want to go racing on trails - get the WR250F.

All bikes benefit from customizing to fit your exact needs.... but some things are commonly desired.

On the KLX-

Used bikes older that 2003 - ACR mod (contact Brewster), shift star mod, open the air box, DynaJet carb kit, fork springs.

Used bike 2003 or newer, or new bike - shift star mod, open the airbox, DynaJet carb kit, fork springs.

On the WR..... I don't know.

The mods are simple and cheap - shift star - 1 hour, $10-15. Open air box - 1/2 hour, NO $. DynaJet - 1-2 hour, $50-75. Fork springs - 1 hour, $100.

There is good support for the KLX both here and at www.PlanetKLX.com

PS - I'm 6'1", 220lbs and today I rode my '94 KLX250R.... I live in the woods of northern Michigan and it'll take me anywhere I want to go..... quickly and easily. If I were riding more open stuff, my DR350 would be better. If I wanted to go faster, my Husky 350WXE would be better. But if I want to go a long ways easily and quickly - the KLX works great. I've never had a more rigid chassis than this - which means it rails turns.

I have a 2004 KLX300 and my son has a 2002 YZ250F and I ride with a few others that have the WR250F. I've ridden them both and I think the YZ has a better suspension and winds up quicker, but I have them on bottom end and top. For trail riding, I'd say take the KLX. The KLX needs some mods to perform, but so does the WR. For track riding, go with the Yamaha. The biggest advantage I see with the WR250F over the KLX300R for trail riding is the electric start.