Sign in to follow this  

Valve adjust on KLX300.. How much $?

I'm trying to help my buddy out with adjusting his valves on his 2001 KLX300. We got the gas tank off and the top end of engine off and are now deciding if we want to take on the task ourselves or pay the bike shop to adjust them. Just out of curiousity he called Matison Motorsports (closest kawasaki shop) and they said it would take "at least a couple hours and probably be about $400 total labor + parts"... They also said that the valves shouldn't need checking even if it is a 2001 that has been ridden a fair amount.

Isn't that highway robbery? :banghead: I would think a decent bike shop could do it in about 1 hour labor (since tank is already off). The only parts would be the shims if needed... so how does that equal $400?? What do you think? :banghead: What is a fair price????

I think I can help him adjust them for free.

I'm trying to help my buddy out with adjusting his valves on his 2001 KLX300. We got the gas tank off and the top end of engine off and are now deciding if we want to take on the task ourselves or pay the bike shop to adjust them. Just out of curiousity he called Matison Motorsports (closest kawasaki shop) and they said it would take "at least a couple hours and probably be about $400 total labor + parts"... They also said that the valves shouldn't need checking even if it is a 2001 that has been ridden a fair amount.

Isn't that highway robbery? :lol: I would think a decent bike shop could do it in about 1 hour labor (since tank is already off). The only parts would be the shims if needed... so how does that equal $400?? What do you think? :banghead: What is a fair price????

I think I can help him adjust them for free.

That sounds like highway robbery to me! If any shop charges more then $250 to just adjust valves, I would end my business at that shop immediately! At least a couple of hours for a shop mechanic??..Give me a break!

Invest in the shop manual and do it yourself...plus you will enjoy the experience :banghead: If you haven't already check the clearance, do so . Most likely you wil havesome adjusting to do if it 5 years old with moderate use. You may luck out and may not need to reshim. There's plenty of KLXers here that will tell you that it's a good habit to check your valve clearance about every 200 miles, especially the intake valves which tend to tighten up.

Good Luck!

Sangair

I would steer faaaaar far away from that dealer. First, one of our '01 KLX's is on it's 4th set of valves. The second is on it's 3rd set. My buddies 2002 is on it's 3rd set. Your dealer obviously doesn't know his A$$ from a hole in the ground.

Second, $400 is completely outrageous. I would consider $150 a fair price. (2 hours) Taking off the tank isn't going to save you any money. If you want to save $$, buy the manual and do it yourself. Checking them is super easy. Making the adjustment is harder, but easily doable. I'd order a set of shims from hot cams so that you don't have to go anywhere near that dealer.

Good luck,

Bill

PS - check em often and keep them adjusted - or prepare to loose them. If you have to go to that Kawi dealer for new valves, based on their rate to adjust them, I'd guess you'd be looking at $1200-1500 for new valves. :banghead:

Is prostitution legal in North Carolina? $400. is a real screw job!!

Maybe you should inform the shop that the KLX only has ONE cylinder.

Normal metric socket set and a metric caliper or micrometer is all you need. Once you've done it, the second time should take less than an hour.

If you have any questions, don't hestitate to post them here.

Ride on

Brewster

Hey guys, so which manual, one that you can but from say...RockyMtn Atv .com, of maybe the dealer.... I haven't done much research YET, but maybe you guys could point me in the right direction. Thanks

I think I saw one on ebay yesterday. The main book is for the '94 -'96 KLX250. There's a supplement for the 300 but you don't need it to do valves.

Got Mine done at a local dealer for 180. And I thought that was steep.

Thanks for the confirmation guys. Just makes me hate my local dealers even more :banghead:

I think we will check and adjust them ourselves. Wonder how much the shop wants for a manual? :banghead:

I just did the same service to my bike. Super easy. :banghead: Buy the Hot Cam shim kit....it'll pay for itself by next year :banghead: There used to be a free "how-to" on the PlanetKLX website...which is still down. I have the procedure saved to a Word document....PM me if you want it. I'd post it somewhere, but have no idea how to.

I saw my local shop and I inquired about pricing. I have a 2000 KLX with less than 1000K on it. He told me it's still breaking in and to come in after 1K becuase the valve will be seated. - He told me it would take about an hour maybe a little more - parts and labor he said it'll chip your pocket out of 150 + or -.

-Craig

You can order through Kaw's web site. $60 plus $12.50 for the supplement which you don't really need.

i wouldn't pay anyone to adjust my valves. i'm a complete spode mechanically, and i could still do it in under 2 hrs the first time. i downloaded the how-to from planet klx (this was a few years ago) and it went pretty smoothly. if i lived nearby, i'd give you a hand for a 6-pack of beer. maybe someone else will be willing to do the same.

mw

Do that valve adjust yourself. They guys here convinced me I could do it... and I did... and it was easy. I have since done my son's YZ250F and helped out with a CR250F. Nothing to it... just take your time and make sure you have a good torque wrench, feeler gages and set of calipers for checking your shims.

I bought all the tools and the manual and the Hot Cam shim kit. The first adjustment paid for itself.

BTW... my local shop quoted me $160.00 which would have included shims. I still think that is steep since I can do it in about 1.5 hours. The first time took me 3 hours... but I was being very cautious and reading everything twice.