Sign in to follow this  

spark arrestor

I am going to be racing an enduro in a few weeks. In the flier, it said spark arrestor required. My bike does not have a S/A silencer. :banghead: This is mainly for the SERA guys... how strict are they about this? I think it would be difficult to check all 400+ bikes. I know that I have to get a real S/A before long, but I am short of funds at the moment. Do you think I should try my hardest to try and find a cheap, used S/A for my bike, or should I be okay for now? :banghead: Thanks!

Antbody got any help? I need to know if I need to go ahead and order one. Thanks again! :banghead:

Yeah, most of the time, they will check SA's when you register, and if they don't when you start, someone will notice. If your pipe can accept one, then you just need the screen, or else, you are looking at a new endcap or pipe. I'd play it safe and get the SA. Good luck in your enduro; George

Antbody got any help? I need to know if I need to go ahead and order one. Thanks again! :banghead:

You need a S/A , if you are to ride offroad events. AMA requires them as does the forestry service. I never race without one and neither should you.

Dwight

Yeh, Dwight and George, I know. Thanks. I actually found a stock pipe and silencer on ebay for $50!! :banghead: I dented and completely deformed my pipe when I tried to cross a huge downed tree!(2smoke) :busted: So now, I have a very quiet and legal exhaust system!! See ya at the Gobbler Getter!!! :lol::busted::banghead: Hope I finish!! :busted:

You need a S/A , if you are to ride offroad events. AMA requires them as does the forestry service. I never race without one and neither should you.

Dwight

Are you referring to series run by the AMA? Because my hare scrambles series is AMA sanctioned but has no sound or spark arrestor regulations.

The AMA doesn't require S/A on a Closed Course unless it is on Forestry land. If on private property they are not required but in my opinion, fiind a good S/A and jet to it. Now never remove it and you won't have any problems. The problems come in when someone puts a loud MX system without a S/A on the bike and then has to put one on it. Now because it is jetted richer with the more open system , the S/A makes it slightly rich causing a slight reduction in power that is noticeable. If the bike is rejetted you won't notice any power difference on top and probably a tad more low end. The AMA requires a S/A for all Enduro and true Cross Country races.

Cher'o,

Dwight

AMA requires S/A and 96dB sound level here in Calif for all events except MX on private property. I just put both on in the form of a FMF Q Series silencer/spark arrestor, and I'm done with it.

You should order one. I got turned away after driving 91 miles. If you got to procircuit.com they have one for 19.99. It's easy to check for them too, they just stick a flexible rod down your pipe and then they know.

Yeh, Dwight and George, I know. Thanks. I actually found a stock pipe and silencer on ebay for $50!! :banghead: I dented and completely deformed my pipe when I tried to cross a huge downed tree!(2smoke) :busted: So now, I have a very quiet and legal exhaust system!! See ya at the Gobbler Getter!!! :lol::busted::banghead: Hope I finish!! :busted:

I did order one!

The AMA doesn't require S/A on a Closed Course unless it is on Forestry land. If on private property they are not required but in my opinion, fiind a good S/A and jet to it. Now never remove it and you won't have any problems. The problems come in when someone puts a loud MX system without a S/A on the bike and then has to put one on it. Now because it is jetted richer with the more open system , the S/A makes it slightly rich causing a slight reduction in power that is noticeable. If the bike is rejetted you won't notice any power difference on top and probably a tad more low end. The AMA requires a S/A for all Enduro and true Cross Country races.

Cher'o,

Dwight

:banghead: