Valvoline Oil for 05 CRF450

alright, i went to farm and fleet today. they have valvoline oil there just for 4 stroke engines. It meets and exceeds all the Honda regulations and standards for oil...i talked to one guy at a race that used it and loved it. any of you guys have any idea what this stuff is like...i don't think it can hurt since it meets all the regulations, and it's cheaper than honda stuff...any suggestions...thanks

Not all oils are created equal, but if it exceeds the specs, is non energy conserving (if for the clutch side) then it will work fine. But, it's a fact that Synthetic will stand up longer the petro based oil. Though I don't use it, Valvoline does make good oil. If it's their synthetic oil, It will work fine. Amsoil is by no means the only good oil out there and Honda does not make their oil. I wonder who does...

1. do not listen to the guy who made the second post.

2. absolutely listen to the guy who made the third post.

oils are NOT created equally.

tz450 needs more education on oil

if it meets the specs and doesnt conserve energy it will be great, regardless of the brand names.

:banghead::banghead:

Use the Honda stuff. Gold bottle in the crank and the red bottle in the clutch. Cost a little more but you know they will work. Takes the guess work out of it and it is always available at your local dealer. :banghead:

True, i'm just tryin to save some money, cuz i plan on chaninge the oil more often that recomennded, I hate the thought of dirty oil in the engine, and love the feeling knowing it's like brand new inside...i'm def. one of those anal guys when it comes to maintanecne.

Any SG or higher rated motor oil w/o the "energy conserving" label will work just fine. Most modern 10w40 and heavier motor oils are not energy conserving and should be suitable for the CRF.

Here's a good write up by a petroleum engineer.

Oil Facts

The author of that write up says Shell Rotella T is his favorite oil, it's mine too. It's dirt cheap, available ANYWHERE, and you can use it on both engine and clutch sides.

:banghead:

You should be changing your oil every 2-3 rides, so synthetics aren't really necessary.

The author of that write up says Shell Rotella T is his favorite oil, it's mine too. It's dirt cheap, available ANYWHERE, and you can use it on both engine and clutch sides.

:banghead:

You should be changing your oil every 2-3 rides, so synthetics aren't really necessary.

You are correct to say that synthetic is not "necessary", but it is optimal over petroleum based. It's my opinion but shared by many. If one oil breaks down faster than another, even if it's changed often, I still think it's best to use the one that breaks down less during this time. I use petroleum based oil to break mine in, but that's it. If I had to use petroleum based however, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I will be picking up my new crf450r thursday. I have run Mobil 1 in all my motorcycles for the last 15 years. 1990 RC30 dynoed in Feb. at 99.1 hp. Not bad for a 15 year old cycle that was advertised at 87 hp. I also use Mobil 1 in my CBR, Ducati 749s, etc.

The CRF will be my first dirt bike since I sold my 1969 OSSA 175 Stiletto, a two stroke of course. I will use Mobil 1 in the CRF unless someone can give me really good reasons not to. A few extra dollars for a premiun oil seems like a reasonable cost. Mobil 1 MX4T is available at any Checker store for about $8 a quart. Expensive, but of course so was the bike.