86 xr 80 smoke problem

just replaced rings, decided to pour oil over cam and valve springs, basically took off valve cover and poured oil over everything, bike smokes is it possible that oil got through into the cylinder, if not i guess i messed up on the rings

did you touch the valves?.. is it smokeing really bad?... maybe your valve stem seals are shot, or your rings are bad, or the cylender is worn ... befor you put the rings on the piston did you check the ring gap?

we need more information to solve the 80 problem

did nothing to valves or valve seals, kinda rushed the job, have done many in the past but never poured oil over everything on head, smokes pretty bad,cylinder was alright condition, rings are new, i guess it probably is the valve seals, i did a leak down test the valves are ok.

taht eliminates all but the valve seals.. i would go with those, if not those, head gasket?..

Out of curiosity, did you hone the cylinder? If not, this could be your problem. The ring will not seat and seal properly.

:banghead: Hi when this is a problem check these things.

1. Is there too much oil in the engine?

2. Did you allow enough time to burn out the oil in the muffler?

3. When you had the head off did you replace the valve guide seals and check the valve guides for excess wear!!!

4. was the cylinder honed or bored. If not the rings wont seal!!!

5. The rings have to be installed right side up!!! If not they act like a pump scraping the oil up in to the combustion chamber creating a fine insect fogger!

Hope This Helps Stan

thanks for all info , will keep trying, yeah put the rings right side up just getting lazy with the bike now and dont want to break it down again, but i guess i have to

:banghead: 5. The rings have to be installed right side up!!! If not they act like a pump scraping the oil up in to the combustion chamber creating a fine insect fogger!

Hope This Helps Stan

That's funny!!! :banghead:

:banghead: Hi when this is a problem check these things.

1. Is there too much oil in the engine?

2. Did you allow enough time to burn out the oil in the muffler?

3. When you had the head off did you replace the valve guide seals and check the valve guides for excess wear!!!

4. was the cylinder honed or bored. If not the rings wont seal!!!

5. The rings have to be installed right side up!!! If not they act like a pump scraping the oil up in to the combustion chamber creating a fine insect fogger!

Hope This Helps Stan

just out of curiosity how long would it take to burn oil out of a muffler? I just resealed my valve cover and changed the oil on my 81 xr200 and its now smoking when i open the throttle up, Never did that before. When the seal blew oil went EVERYWHERE, like the whole motor was covered.