Pastrana racing the Baja 1000

Yep it is true.....right there in Class 22. Any opinions??????

what is class 22???.....

cool...but he will only last a few miles til he breaks his neck

He just got hurt on the first lap or so if the 24 hours of Glen Helen. Do you really think he will be able to complete the Baja 1000

Travis will do great until he tries to do a double back-flip over a cactus.

I saw him in the Enzburg Enduro which is the narliest race in the world. I now have complete respect for him. The best ISDE, Enduro, other discipline riders in Europe compete in this event and he led the race until his bone stock RM 250 locked up. Travis is one of the most talented riders still riding.

Any idea what bike he will be riding????

cool...but he will only last a few miles til he breaks his neck

class 22 is a truck class yeah???

i bet he kicks some arse :banghead:

Cant wait to see him go by...or his teammate i guess.

Is he really gonna race it with Rick Johnson???? :banghead: Hold on rick!!!

I think he will do quite well.

Class 22 is the open motorcycle class, the same class that Steve Hengeveld and Johnny Campbell race in. I doubt he would be ready for the November 17th start of the Baja 1000 after his crash at the 24 hours of Glen Helen. If this is true who else is listed on his team? I wonder if Jeremy McGrath will be racing a truck this year in the Baja 1000. He has had some invites from Robby Gordon in the past.

C22 is the "Open Pro" class. His only bet is an RMZ450. They will NOT finish. Travis on a bike or ATV in Baja is an accident waiting to happen. Yes, he is also signed up to race an ATV too. Really really a BAD idea.

AND, he is apparently racing a Pro Truck (a pretty fast truck class, like a "spec" class) with a few guys. I think the truck thing will be cool with Travis and it's much safer for him.

What, Pastana in a Protruck. Have you guys seen that vid of him flipping that Rally car. I hate to say this but I think he's going to take out some spectators or at the least run off in a ditch. It takes experience to drive a truck at speed across the desert.

I saw him in the Enzburg Enduro which is the narliest race in the world. I now have complete respect for him. The best ISDE, Enduro, other discipline riders in Europe compete in this event and he led the race until his bone stock RM 250 locked up. Travis is one of the most talented riders still riding.

I too saw that and also respect Travis for how well he did. Although he did lead for quite a while, it is not quite accurate to say he lost the lead because his bike locked up. He was in 3rd or 4th place when he called it quits in the rock garden. David Knight (the winner) passed him straight up before the rock section.

Travis is the man and has great talent but I have my doubts that he will finish the race.His body is getting more brittle with each injury and you could probably sneeze on him and it would break some of his bones.

This is a 1000 miles... Travis from a bike, to a quad, to truck. I say the guy will poop out at night time, But i must give him prop's for his appetite for destruction :banghead:

Pastrami was leading at Erzburg (toughest course in the world) right up until near the end, so he's capable of doing well at Baja I would think... if he can just keep it on 2 wheels.

he's capable of doing well at Baja I would think

Erzburg is completely different than Baja.

Do "well", I doubt it. A lot will depend on his teammates. Depending on who is riding that bike there is a possibility it will finish with a decent time but I'd say not in the top 10 OA.

And I'll still stay behind what I said before...it'll be a DNF.

Erzburg is completely different than Baja.

Do "well", I doubt it.

Agreed, Erzburg is different kind of riding, but I think he proved at Erzburg he is tough, in good physical shape, and can ride like a crazy mofo... These characteristics won't hurt his chances in Baja, will they?
And I'll still stay behind what I said before...it'll be a DNF.
You're probably right and it wouldn't be the first time for him.
he is tough, in good physical shape, and can ride like a crazy mofo... These characteristics won't hurt his chances in Baja, will they?
IMO, yes, it could hurt.

The only place (IMO) it pays to be in top condidion in a Baja race is in/around the San Felipe area because it's SO rough. But, if he is going to race that section I think he's in for a not-so-fun time and some crashing because it's likely unlike anything he's ever raced before.

Very few people get away with riding crazy-like in Baja, very few.

Please do not think I'm just bagging on Travis.

I like Travis, I think he's great for the sport(s), I have nothing against him, his Dad is a very good rider and a a great guy who has ridden Baja with us a couple times, next to the signed LR jersey on my office wall is a signed TP jersey, and I wish Travis all the luck possible...he needs it. Baja is a dangerous place to take chances.