Sign in to follow this  

forks

i just redid mt fork seals and there are little lines where the seals are, like rings. i think that my forks are a little sticky and thats whats causing it, i cleaned the legs with simple green and wonder if there is a little cleaner or sumtin i could use to help it, or maybe i can wax it?

Are the rings crud or are they etched in the tubes? Sounds like baked on crud to me. Put some mineral spirits (paint thinner) on a shop towel and see if that doesnt remove the rings.

I read somewhere on here someone was selling a product that you coat your fork legs with. I have no experience with the product but someone else must. It's to help with sticktion.

I read somewhere on here someone was selling a product that you coat your fork legs with. I have no experience with the product but someone else must. It's to help with sticktion.

The product you are referring to is called Forslyk.I have never used the stuff before though.

yea i know of forslyk i wanna try it but funds a re low. the rings i think are from my dust seal as forks goes down they wip the old ones away and leave new one hould i just clean my seal some more?

If you talking about little oily rings that go around the circumference of your fork tubes your prob right about the dust seals causing it. I Mysleft don"t worry about it. It will eventually go away if nothing is leaking.

ok yea nutin is leakin,i just put new seals in and i thought it was the dust rings but wanted to be sure thanks alot for all ur info

didn't scotts or pc or some other suspension shop used to make a special grease to put under your dust seals to prevent stiction?seems to me it used to come in a little tube maybe an ounce or 2.the rings you are seeing are normal.a very minute amount of oil will get past the seals and push down all of the dust and those are the rings you are seeing.take it easy on the fork tubes.those things are plated and polished and you may actually be causing damage.check for any dings and very carefully smooth them off.dings will tear or at least make the seals leak.another tip to prolong the next set of seals is to periodically pull down the dust seals and clean out any crud under them.