bike on fixed stand technique

You could always get a jack stand that you operate by foot. I don't personally use one, but they look sweet.

As far as techinque with a regular stand, I lean the bike over and use my leg and arms to lift the bike on the stand. I also position the stand very close to the bike so it doesn't have to go very far. Avoid bending over and using just your back, that will result in back problems.

Don't know if it will work if you're taller than about 5'9" or so (I'm a short sh*t @5'7"), but this technique seems to work well for me:

I do this from the left side of the bike - left hand on the bars, right hand and thigh do the work. (to me it feels akward to do this from the right side - figure out which side feels best for you)

Roll the bike past the stand so the rear wheel's even with the stand. Cock the bars to the left and roll the bike backwards so the front wheel's now where it would be if you had the bike on the stand. This should put the stand right next to the bike so that the rear edge of the stand is next to the foot peg. Keep the wheel cocked slightly - so it's more or less in the position it would be as it sits on the stand.

Hold onto the handlbar with one hand, lean the bike over towards you, gripping it near the rear fender (behind the seat - YZ's have a grab, CR's require using the fender, dunno about the other brands) and lean the bike against your thigh. You want to put your thigh just behind the foot peg area - sort of where the number plate/subframe meets the rest of the bike.

In one motion, lean the bike over (probably about 45 degrees or so) with your fender hand onto your thigh (sort of using your lower leg as a kick stand) and rock the rear wheel off the ground. (handlebar hand is just sort of keeping it all from falling over)

As the rear wheel comes off the ground, give a heave with your foot (stand on your toes) and push the bike upwards towards the stand with your thigh.

Man, this isn't easy to explain....

This motion sort of pivots the bike just above the swingarm upwards and towards the stand and if you do it correctly, the frame rail closest to you will end up over the edge of the stand. Let the bike sit down on the stand and then set the bike upright.

I've been able to get a buddies XR650 on a stand using this technique - wasn't easy, but at the same time I didn't have to strain.

There's almost no lifting required doing this - it's all a pivot off your leg thing and then sort of tossing the bike up off your leg onto the stand.

Hope this makes some sense and helps.

Try to grab the bike as far back as you can. And transfer the weight to the front wheel (which is still on the ground), so it's less weight for you to lift. I take my bike from the left and grab the break side swingarm (I don't trust those fenders). I also use my leg to support the bike and pivot.

The important part is to transfer as much weight as you can to the front wheel. But than again, I have a CRF250.

Don't know if it will work if you're taller than about 5'9" or so (I'm a short sh*t @5'7"), but this technique seems to work well for me:

I do this from the left side of the bike - left hand on the bars, right hand and thigh do the work. (to me it feels akward to do this from the right side - figure out which side feels best for you)

Roll the bike past the stand so the rear wheel's even with the stand. Cock the bars to the left and roll the bike backwards so the front wheel's now where it would be if you had the bike on the stand. This should put the stand right next to the bike so that the rear edge of the stand is next to the foot peg. Keep the wheel cocked slightly - so it's more or less in the position it would be as it sits on the stand.

Hold onto the handlbar with one hand, lean the bike over towards you, gripping it near the rear fender (behind the seat - YZ's have a grab, CR's require using the fender, dunno about the other brands) and lean the bike against your thigh. You want to put your thigh just behind the foot peg area - sort of where the number plate/subframe meets the rest of the bike.

In one motion, lean the bike over (probably about 45 degrees or so) with your fender hand onto your thigh (sort of using your lower leg as a kick stand) and rock the rear wheel off the ground. (handlebar hand is just sort of keeping it all from falling over)

As the rear wheel comes off the ground, give a heave with your foot (stand on your toes) and push the bike upwards towards the stand with your thigh.

Man, this isn't easy to explain....

This motion sort of pivots the bike just above the swingarm upwards and towards the stand and if you do it correctly, the frame rail closest to you will end up over the edge of the stand. Let the bike sit down on the stand and then set the bike upright.

I've been able to get a buddies XR650 on a stand using this technique - wasn't easy, but at the same time I didn't have to strain.

There's almost no lifting required doing this - it's all a pivot off your leg thing and then sort of tossing the bike up off your leg onto the stand.

Hope this makes some sense and helps.

Actually you did a pretty darn good job of explaining it... ??? Sounds like the same technique I use... I can get my bike up regularly using this method, and my boyfriend's 450F if I'm not too tired. I like it because its not dependant on upper body strength. (Although I still like my foot-pedal stand better! :banghead: )

Key points: 1. get the front wheel positioned in front of the stand in same general position where it will be when the bike is ON the stand, as this will help in the getting the bike on the right place on the stand; and 2. use your thigh to actually lift and dump the body of the bike ON the stand. :banghead:

The stands with the little lever jack work well for bikes under 270 lbs or so. No problem with my KTM. If you are willing to pay a little more ($90) you can get the Sears motorcycle kift, which really is a good deal for the $$ since you can lift a Harley with it. When you consider that the fixed stands and the lever jack stands are $50-$80, the Sears full-on jack is a bargain. That being said, it is easier to move around your bike if it's on a fixed stand or a lever jack stand. But also note that with the Sears jack you can move the stand around (it has locking casters) with your bike on it.

From the right side, I grab the front brake and pivot the bike forward and up with my left hand under the rear fender at the side panel. Works easily for me but my shorter friends don't like the method.

Or you could grab the left subframe doing the same thing.

Position yourself on the left side of the bike, put the kickstand down.

Grab the subframe with your right hand, balance the bike with your left hand.

Use the kickstand as a piviot point and lift the rear wheel off the ground.

Slide the stand under the bike, I have a small rope tied to the stand and pull it with my left hand.

Yes my drz is also heavy, but using the kickstand as a piviot there is hardly no lifting involved.

No lifting. That's just silly. There's no need for that.

Put kick stand down. Set bike stand in front of foot peg on right side of bike as close as possible, right next to the skid plate. Pull bike over and back onto kick stand until it's balanced on the rear wheel and kick stand.

While balancing with your left hand reach over the bike, grab the bike stand, and set it under the skid plate as far as possible. You will only be able to get it about half under. Now push the bike up onto the edge of the bike stand and shimmy it around until it's pretty much balaced and centered.

Good job K-Fab! That' s just how I do it. Don't think I could have said it better myself Use the legs and hip to get the beast on the stand. It's all about balance and being motorcyclist everyone should have at least a little of that.

I feel your pain. Those DR-Z's are heavy and a PITA to get up on a stand. I had one. Sorry I don't have any useful advice for getting one on a stand. My CRF is much easier.

-Mike

thats bull, i lift my drz onto its stand by myself, and i'm 16......just put the stand down, push it really far over so it lift the back wheel, slide the stand under at an angle, then push it all up rite!!!! jod done!