Sign in to follow this  

Bar width??

i want to narrow my bars up some and want to know what the general average bar width is. my protapers are really wide and i got to ride a dif bike with narrower bars and liked it. thanx

I also run 30" bars but i usually run the woods for the most part but i do get on the track and have no problem with the size that they are.

i want to narrow my bars up some and want to know what the general average bar width is. my protapers are really wide and i got to ride a dif bike with narrower bars and liked it. thanx

how wide are you bars i run tag bars and i think the are 31" and they seem fine to me, i think pro tapers are the same, correct me if i am wrong

the higher the bar bend the shorter the width, GENERALLY.

some bar companies use the same length tube for all the different bends so the higher the bend the shorter the width and vice-versa. :banghead::banghead:

I figured out my handlebar width with the "push up" method. Someone else taught me this and it worked for me and several of my friends.

Put a yards stick down and do pushups. The width that you can do them the easiest is where you are the strongest. Several friends who suffered with arm pump laughed until they tried it. Most were woods riders with cut down bars. The small difference translates into a big difference if you ride for a long period of time.

Also note the angle palm of you hand to the yard stick at the distal most point. Measure the "sweep" or distance from the center of the yardstick and used it as a guide to pick the sweep of your bars.

Everyones body habitus is different so this customizes everything to your size to give you a starting point instead of guessing. Just a suggestion but I think it works.

Later!!

I just posted my method in another forum. Buy a set of $15 bars, your bend, cut .25" off of each side until you are happy with the bars, then cut down ( or not) your aluminum bars. Then you'll know for sure what width your bars should be. Oh yea I cut 1/2" off of mine and I like it.

I figured out my handlebar width with the "push up" method. Someone else taught me this and it worked for me and several of my friends.

Put a yards stick down and do pushups. The width that you can do them the easiest is where you are the strongest. Several friends who suffered with arm pump laughed until they tried it. Most were woods riders with cut down bars. The small difference translates into a big difference if you ride for a long period of time.

Also note the angle palm of you hand to the yard stick at the distal most point. Measure the "sweep" or distance from the center of the yardstick and used it as a guide to pick the sweep of your bars.

Everyones body habitus is different so this customizes everything to your size to give you a starting point instead of guessing. Just a suggestion but I think it works.

Later!!

so you think that if i cut my bars down(i measured them end to end 32" and i ride mx) i will have reduced armpump?

i have the protaper K-Dub bars. i dont know how wide they are of the top of my head though.

I have the same bars and they're 32" wide. I like them wide, but I'm 6' 1" tall. If I narrow them, I tend to get more headshake. Riding MX, you should have your bars wider than for trails. I'd say ride and see how they feel. If you feel like you're reaching, cut 1/4" off the ends like Jake said.