Sign in to follow this  

back firing

i am have been having some problems with my bike backfing alot. so i want to check the valves because i am pretty sure that they are to tight and that is whats causing the problem. how hard is it to get to the valves to adjust them. will i need to replace any gaskets or any thing like that? and how big of an under taking will it be? If i start thur afternoon will i still be able to race sunday if every thing goes normaly?

Ok if your valves need adjustment it would be hard to start or may not even start usually. It could be as simple as jetting, I know the temperature dropped a great deal in the last 2 weeks here and had effects on my bike. It would be a good idea just to check the valves anyway, all you do is take the tank off and remove the head cover. Put the bike at TDC with the cams facing up and use the feeler guage to inspect the clearence, takes about 15 minutes. The owner's manual explains this very well and has a few pictures to help you out. If they are tight then post back and I will help you out, it takes about an hour to shim them and get the bike back together, no gaskets needed.

Ok if your valves need adjustment it would be hard to start or may not even start usually. It could be as simple as jetting, I know the temperature dropped a great deal in the last 2 weeks here and had effects on my bike. It would be a good idea just to check the valves anyway, all you do is take the tank off and remove the head cover. Put the bike at TDC with the cams facing up and use the feeler guage to inspect the clearence, takes about 15 minutes. The owner's manual explains this very well and has a few pictures to help you out. If they are tight then post back and I will help you out, it takes about an hour to shim them and get the bike back together, no gaskets needed.

What he said not hard. Take your time if you never did it before and you can handle it..

thanx every one. i started taking it apart yesterday evening and like every one said it was easy to get to. When i was at a race last week end a local technician from moore tech racing heard it backfiring and said he was about 80% sure it was because the vavles are to tight. so i took it apart last night and they where to tight. I am going to adjust them today, my dad knows how to adjust them so i am goin to get him to come give me a hand.

thanx for the tips.