what battery tender/charger to get?

gang

you'll see a bunch of threads from me.... new to the DRZ, old to bikes.

mine is not doing well. :banghead:

to avoid ruining another battery, which battery-tender/charger do I need to buy? can get at Wal Mart? autozone? the more specific you can be the better.

thanks

zapp

I have a "Battery Minder" brand that I picked up at the local battery shop with my last new battery. I use it anytime the bike is going to sit for more than a week. Unfortunately I use it alot...

I just use a 1 amp trickle charger that I plug into a 24 hour timer. Set the timer to come on at 15-30 minute intervals, twice a day in summer but more as the temperature drops. Been doing this for over two years on the same battery, and I don't get to ride much.

The 1 amp charger on its own would boil the battery (hence using it with a timer).

I went to sears and got a small battery charger, has 6volt and 12volt settings... Also comes with two quick disconnect adapters, on I have permenantly installed on my bike... It will automatically shut off when it has reached full charge... here is a link to try:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=AUTO&pid=02871220000&subcat=Battery+Chargers%2C+Boosters+%26+Cables

If that doesn't work the part number is: 02871220000

Almost two years and zero problems, always have a fresh charge! Plus it's only $30!

-Ryan

Another satisfied BT Jr. user here.

I also have the original BT on my '97 TL1000S. It's 7 yr old Yuasa battery is still going strong. That is remarkable, especially on this hard to turn over 996cc V-twin :banghead:

I have 7 Battery Tender Jr's. One for each snowmobile, one for each quad, and one for each of my three bikes. They'll pay for themselves easily by doubling battery life. Never have to worry about going out to ride something and the batteries dead.

I built my own charger from a charger that came from a Security system. It was designed to float charge the gel cell stand-by battery in the control panel. It works great as a motorcycle battery charger. I connected a plug to the DRZ so I can plug it in any time I am not using my bike for a while. Works realy well and keeps my battery fully charged. Even added a volt meter to to the charger so I can monitor the voltage at any given time.

ok, got it! thanks guys!

z

Got one of those Battery Tender Jr.'s on my drag busa, and will soon move the one from the harley I just sold to the DRZ. Just be sure the battery is fully charged before putting it on the tender. They come with two cable options - clip-type and terminal-type, so you can permanently mount the terminals to your batter, and route the plug out to a convenient place to plug into the charger without taking the seat off.

I have 7 Battery Tender Jr's. One for each snowmobile, one for each quad, and one for each of my three bikes. They'll pay for themselves easily by doubling battery life. Never have to worry about going out to ride something and the batteries dead.

whoa!!!! 7 tenders... I'd love the opportunity to shake your hand!!! :banghead: