now DRZ will not start. whats needed?

gang

re: my DRZ400EK1:

the battery WAS fine, but the bike will not fire. it ran fine the last time I brought it home from my wrench [after dead, stone-dead, battery]. it never has been EASY to start, always retired to many turns .....

I will first check the plug but my guess is that's not where the issue is.

My guess is that someone prior to my buying the bike had opened the air box and dropped in a Twin AF but nothing else. that's just a guess. it was used in Colorado, so it sort of makes sense. if it were at 10K feet right now it might fire if choke was on and left on.

Where can I download a service manual?

What's the best FAQ or other that I can read to get the jetting right for baseline elevation of 1000'? What mod is suggested for the restrictive exhaust tip?

ANY, and ALL assistance will leave me greatly indebted! I much prefer to ride vs. wrench and this bike is not finding my happy spot. :banghead:

z

Hard starting can be due to many things. Start with a basic tune up and carb clean. It should fire right up (cold with choke) regardless of altitude and/or rejetting. Might not run the best warm if the jetting is off but start up and the 1st minute of cold running will not change much.

Where can I download a service manual?-----???? Dealer

What's the best FAQ or other that I can read to get the jetting right for baseline elevation of 1000'?------ stock 45 pilot, -5 clip on the stock needle, 158 main with the air box snorkel removed.

What mod is suggested for the restrictive exhaust tip?----none. Why do you think it is restrictive?

I much prefer to ride vs. wrench and this bike is not finding my happy spot. ----You have to get it right first, then it will.

You might want to start with the basics. To run it needs spark, fuel and air. Does it have spark? Is it getting fuel? and finally is it getting Air. :banghead:

How long has it been since it was last running?

My S gives me some problems if it sits for more than a week. The solution I've found is to lay it on its side for a minute or two (shifter side), and then it fires right up. My brother does this with his XR600 and it saves him a ton of kicking.

Good luck.

well it had been about two or three weeks. i had noticed thie last few times i started it, it didn't want to fire right off.... took about 1/2 the battery to get it going.

yesterday I replaced the plug. the screen at the petcock was probably ok... i was getting a good drip out of it anyhow. but ran the battery dry 2.5 times just spinning and spinning without so much as a hiccup. without an 'E' manual and with my weak mechanic skills, i couldn't figure a fast way to deal with the carb. Threw in towel... took it to the local honda dealer [they're nice to me even when i bring suzukieee in ]

we'll see what the verdict is.....

wonder what the explanation is for your "lay it on the side" solution?

z

If the the bike has sat for a long while your best bet is to make it pee. The gas that is left in the bowl goes stale after a while since it is vented. Open the screw and drain the bowl to the carb and let it fill with fresh gas by moving the lever to prime with the S model or on with the E. It will usally fire right off after you do that.

wonder what the explanation is for your "lay it on the side" solution?

z

I think it just floods it a bit, but someone smarter than me can probably tell you exactly what it does. :banghead: I never question success.

If I didn't do the "lay it on it's side" thing, I'd be draining the battery dry too.

what is "prime" ???

z

p.s. and just to make myself feel better... i went out to the garage this morning and pulled out the 'ole BRP, which hasn't been run in about a month or so. choke lever UP, pull in compression lever, spin it a few times.... kick it a few times... hold compression lever, throttle it a LITTLE while spinning, find TDC, kick, WHOOOOM..... hand on the throttle, go up the street... no helmet, she's wanting that blasted choke OFF LIKE NOW, so el dumbo slides back on the seat a little so I can fish for the carb lever with my left while holding some throttle with my right..... push choke down/OFF and "BANG".... one-handed wheelie in progress. sheeeesshhh. that bike never ever leaves me without a big stoopid grin on