Sign in to follow this  

Installing EMGO Aluminum handguards - how to??

Hi,

I know a bunch of members have this type of handguard so hopefully someone can offer some advice.

I just bought the plain aluminum EMGO guards to mount on my S model. They fit in the end of the bar fine but the mounting bracket lines up with the curve on the handlebars . This basically means that I can't put on the back of the bracket to tighten it. Did others have to bend the handguards or move the controls around to get these to fit? It just seems the bend of the handguards is all wrong for my bike.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

I have the EMGO handguards, and I had them installed on both the stock bars, and on my MSR alloy bars. I didn't have any issues installing them. Lots of room.

I trust that you have the bar end weights removed?

You may have more success if you install the clamps loosely on the guards before you slip the guards into the end of the bars. Then attach and tighten the back of the clamps, then tighten the large bolt that attaches the guard to the clamp lastly.

I've done this three times now...

Once on the stock bars, once on new alloy bars, and once when I had to replace the alloy bars after a crash.

00004.jpg

Thanks for the quick response.

If I slide the end of the handguard into the bar then the bracket lines up with the bend in the handlebar (just where it starts to straighten before the clamps). If the handguards were longer then I could mount them to the level part of the bar.

The other problem is that the bracket is not totally perpendicular and sitting flush to the bar. I would need to bend the handguard to get the bracket to sit smoothly against the bars.

Where did your bracket mount on the stock bars? On the downslope or further into the center on the level portion?

Thanks

Sitting here and thinking about it at the office, I'm pretty sure the clamps attach to the short riser section of the bars, between the bends.

I'll take a close up photo for you later this afternoon, if you like.

It is a little bit tedious. And you may have to move some controls slightly to accomodate the clamps.

But the order of installation seems to me most important. Definitely try this order first...

Clamps loosely on the guards before you slip the guards into the end of the bars. Then attach and tighten the back of the clamps, then tighten the large bolt that attaches the guard to the clamp lastly.

By the way...

The guards have now saved my right hand from being crushed, twice! It's worth a bit of dicking around to get them on there.

I will try it in those steps. I can tell that if I could just bend the very end of the guards then things would fit nicely but I don't want to try that with aluminum. If you get a chance to post a closeup that would be great.

Thanks very much

Here's the close up shots I promised. And on close inspection, everything does tighten up nice and flush and snug...

emgoclamps01.jpg

emgoclamps02.jpg

emgoclamps03.jpg

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks so much for the help. Yours are mouned where mine will go. I think I will just need to do some fiddling with it.

Thanks also for the recommendation you gave me a few months ago about going to a 47T rear sprocket. That and the Kendas have transformed the bike

Take Care