Newbie with 2 freebie XR's, '85 and '88

I just received two free XR's, they were rode hard and put away wet. They are similar but with minor differences between them. I am very good with a wrench and need a little guidence as which one to fix up, I haven't ridden a dirt bike in ages. I don't know if they are worth fixing but I am famous for throwing good money after bad (just ask my wife :'}) I will mention what I see different and please chime in if I missed anything

1988 XR250R with oil cooler, single Keihin carb. White frame with box channel as the front down tube. Forks and shock appear good. Frame appears straight (this is important when you read the next desc.)

1985 ?250? (no label, only VIN #) No oil cooler, dual carb, red tube frame..badly tweaked. Front forks OK, rear shock shot...leaking fluid.

From the description I would choose the '88. The 88 engine isn't without it's issues though! The plug has been removed and the bike has been sitting outside and the stator cover has been off for a while too! Of course I could add it to the shed full of parts I all ready have :banghead:

Mike

I would part-out the '85 and use the proceeds towards the '88. Dual carb and heat issues notwithstanding; the '85 will be difficult to get parts for. Honda designed a whole new engine for '84 and '85 and rather than iron out the problems - scrapped the dual carb concept and went back the other way.

You'll have a much easier time restoring the '88. (Most parts are still available OEM) I have an '84 XR200 and I have an easier time getting parts for my vintage Bultacos than I do the 200.

I would part-out the '85 and use the proceeds towards the '88. Dual carb and heat issues notwithstanding; the '85 will be difficult to get parts for. Honda designed a whole new engine for '84 and '85 and rather than iron out the problems - scrapped the dual carb concept and went back the other way.

You'll have a much easier time restoring the '88. (Most parts are still available OEM) I have an '84 XR200 and I have an easier time getting parts for my vintage Bultacos than I do the 200.

i agree. you can probably sell a lot of parts on ebay. most parts you will need for the '88 you can get on ebay. as for the motor, these are pretty simple motor, especially if you are mechnically inclined. go with the '88 without a doubt.

88 :banghead: