Sign in to follow this  

fork straightening?

I had a little run in with a minivan on my xt225 this morning on my way to school. I am ok, but my bike is not. The guy hit me on my front fork, left side. The tube still compresses and comes back just fine, but the wheel is cocked off to one side. Now in order to ride a straight line, the bars have to be turned hard to the right. The guy didnt have any insurance, so I have to pay for repairs myself. I took it to the local yamaha dealer and he said he might be able to fix it with a wheel alignment, but it would cost 130 bucks, which seemed kinda pricey. Any suggestions or help would be apreciated?

Forks might not be bent, just twisted in the triple clamp. It's a pretty easy check and fix.

Lift and support the bike so the front tire is off the ground. Need to use a stand, can't hang or support the front from the forks or handle bars.

Remove the front wheel.

Loosen the bolts that clamp the forks in the triple clamp. If the forks don't slide freely up/down in triples then they are probably twisted. If they are bent it usually happens at the lower triple. Lower the fork tube and check for creases in the fork where the lower triple clamps the tube.

To fix twisted fork/triple clamp:

Loosen the bolt that holds the top triple clamp on.

Rotate the upper triple till the forks slide frealy up and down in the triples.

Tighten the upper triple clamp.

Tighten fork/triple clamp bolts.

Put front wheel back on.

Go ride!

cool, thanks a bunch. sounds like ive got a nice weekend project lined up. I hope I can get it done friday night so i can go riding this weekend. thanks again

Hey your on TT?

The left fork is visually bent, you need fork(s) or to get them straightened. Sorry to ruin your weekend, but you aint fixing this weekend with loosing the triple clamp alone. anybody out there ever get forks straightened?

joe

Hey your on TT?

The left fork is visually bent, you need fork(s) or to get them straightened. Sorry to ruin your weekend, but you aint fixing this weekend with loosing the triple clamp alone. anybody out there ever get forks straightened?

joe

The way dirtydualy described the problem and considering what the dealer told him. Sound like a simple re-alignment. Just loosen up the upper and lower clamps and straighten the wheel up. Make sure not to over tighten the clampls when you're done because they can pinch the tubes and really messed them up. Follow the torgue specs for your bike.

Hey your on TT?

joe

I've straightened many, many bent fork tubes...............not a problem unless they're bent bad. I pull the forks apart, and use a hyd press and wood blocks to prevent damage to the tube. :banghead: Need to find someone that knows how to do it right and no big deal. I hate to see people get sold a new fork when it's so easy a fix! :banghead: Had to straighten a fork tube on the Team Old School race bike, must have been two years ago..............lots of races and rides and no problems! :lol:

Old School Al