Sign in to follow this  

Hungry Valley Weather

I am going to Hungry Valley on Sat 10/22/05 for the day and was wondering if anyone has an idea of what the weather conditions are like right now, temperature wise. Any word on if any of the trails are closed due to the rain over the last couple of days. thanks guys.

:banghead:

Weather.com is calling for the high 60's. I live in Lancaster about 40 miles east and the weather is perfect out here in the desert, should be a little cooler over there since the elevation is higher. I am riding the VCMC ride on sunday out of lebec and through Gorman and it looks like it will be perfect weather. I have only heard of a couiple of the forest trails being shut down but nothing about the valley itself. Tp3dxf is up there today so he will probably give a report tonight or tommorow.

I rode there today. Weather was great maybe in the low 60's and a bit windy in the valley. A good deal of water and mud on some of the trails. Lots of new ruts be careful. All the trails seemed to be open. Did a short forest loop. Bike issues cut it short but I called yesterday and they said everything was open except Snowy and Arasta. Arasta was open today.

i rode there today too!!!

had a blast.

it took an HOUR to get all the mud out of the little nooks and crannies!!!

(that stuff dries like friggin' c-ment)

gorgeous day to boot.

drj

ps - just wanna say thanks to HOWARD HUGE and MOTOCHRIS for riding with me and helpin' dig my bike outta the mud!!! :banghead::banghead::lol:

drj

I rode there today. Weather was great maybe in the low 60's and a bit windy in the valley. A good deal of water and mud on some of the trails. Lots of new ruts be careful. All the trails seemed to be open. Did a short forest loop. Bike issues cut it short but I called yesterday and they said everything was open except Snowy and Arasta. Arasta was open today.

Took the day off from work and hit Gorman solo. At first. Did a lower trail loop and not to bad as far as mud goes,actually perfect soil conditions with a bit of slime here and there ,but not horrible. BUT !!!! They must have got some serious downpours there because there are washouts everywhere!I rode the same trails Sunday and :lol: i cant believe the difference.

Be VERY carefull up there !

I did run into two TT'ers on backbone ! One was off the side upside down.Helped him back on the trail and took off.A short time later ,taking a break on freeman they pulled up and introduced themselves.Howard Huge(?) and Damon77 or Jason77(i'm bad w/names).Anyway i hooked up them and cruised some lower trails(badlands/gorman).Damon/Jason(sorry)decieded he had enough ,so Howard and I headed up Tejon and into the forest. :busted:

Can you say Rock City ! :busted: .As i tried to keep the mighty 525 on the trail Howard disappeard.At the bottom of Arasta we met a couple of 450x dudes that atempted Arasta,but didn't make it and came back down.After some hesitation(mine) Howard and I went UP Arasta. :lol::banghead:

Somehow I made it.(add clutch /coolant burning smell here).Howard was laughing and giggling the whole way . Cruised the fireroad at the top to Fraiser (which is also totally jacked) and back to the truck.Whew !

Howard ,some day when i grow up , i wish i could ride as well as you. :banghead: It was really nice meeting/riding with you(and the other guy)sorry about the name thing :lol:

It took me over an hour to wash the bike and another 45 minutes to wash the dirt/mud to the street :banghead: Wish I had a power washer at home...that would make my life so much easier...

It took me over an hour to wash the bike and another 45 minutes to wash the dirt/mud to the street :banghead: Wish I had a power washer at home...that would make my life so much easier...

You had the energy to WASH you bike ?

Motoracer is a young man. A good rider as well. Go for the 100's MC race Brian it will hurt but about a week later It will prove to be the best race of your life.

Oh yeah it was muddy today.

Motoracer is a young man. A good rider as well. Go for the 100's MC race Brian it will hurt but about a week later It will prove to be the best race of your life.

I think I'm gonna go for it...I can already feel the pain :banghead:

You call that muddy.

You haven't ridden at Gorman much.

I am suprised at how many thumpertalkers there are out there. Running into two of them in the same day by chance was great.

Drj777 it was great meeting you you are a nice guy and did a great job on the black diamond trails in the worst conditions. In a couple days those same trails won't have the standing water and mudholes. You should be able to make it through without any trouble.

Motochris521 what a coincidence having the same number? It was a great pleasure riding with you the whole day especially on Badlands where you were smokin :busted: On my way back to the truck they closed backbone and badlands :banghead: so I had to take fremont back :banghead: We were lucky to get through those trails before they closed them. Sorry to drag you up Arastra but I had never been up it and I was dying to see how truly hard it was :busted:. 50 bucks for gas, 5 bucks to get in, leaving the first tracks over the top of Arastra, Priceless :lol:

The conditions on Wednesday could not have been more perfect the ledges we could drop off into the river wash were awesome. No dust anywhere. Perfect moist cake traction everywhere in the desert. Allowed for you to get real creative lines through any corner :busted:.

Chris the reason I was laughing and giggiling, was those conditions and the trail condition of Arastra make me feel like a little kid again. Thats why I ride because it keeps me young and relieves me of the every day stress of life. :crazy:

Thanks again for the ride, anytime you guys want to come up north to Clear Creek let me know and I will personally give you the tour. :busted:

Howard Huge

HOWARD HUGE & MOTOCHRIS

i had a blast with you guys - its nice ridin' with people that have a lot more experience than myself - it pushes you in to stuff you wouldnt ordinarily try and im a better rider for it.

luckly - i cut out just in time and barely made it to work...thanks again!!

(so they closed two of the trails we rode - thats pretty friggin' cool!)

next time i get up north ill be sure to get in touch and go ridin' with ya.

great day.

great folks.

THUMPERTALK kicks ass once again!! :banghead::banghead:

drj

:lol:

I know of all the other trails that you all are talking about but Arasta doesn't ring a bell for some reason. Am i missing out on a great trail out

I know the area at the top of Fraizer, is that where i need to catch Arasta? :banghead:

I know of all the other trails that you all are talking about but Arasta doesn't ring a bell for some reason. Am i missing out on a great trail out

I know the area at the top of Fraizer, is that where i need to catch Arasta? :banghead:

Arrastra as it is spelled in the map is trail #121 in the Los Padres NF. To get to it take the Tejon Trail #122 to Arrastra #121 which takes you to the top of Frasier Park. Then you could come back down East Frasier Trail #120 turn right on Tejon Trail #122 and do Arrastra #121 again :busted: for a nice loop. :banghead: I wouldn't recommend riding Arrastra alone :busted: if you fall on the downhillside of one of the many ledges you will need help getting your bike back up to the trail.

Pick up a map at the Ranger station its all there... :lol:

Good Luck, HH

Arrastra as it is spelled in the map is trail #121 in the Los Padres NF. To get to it take the Tejon Trail #122 to Arrastra #121 which takes you to the top of Frasier Park. Then you could come back down East Frasier Trail #120 turn right on Tejon Trail #122 and do Arrastra #121 again :busted: for a nice loop. :busted: I wouldn't recommend riding Arrastra alone :lol: if you fall on the downhillside of one of the many ledges you will need help getting your bike back up to the trail.

Pick up a map at the Ranger station its all there... :banghead:

Good Luck, HH

Know that you mention it, i think i might have taken that loop before, however i didn't have a map and did i ever get lost. I will keep that in mind. Sounds like a great loop!!! :banghead:

It's probably the second most difficult trail in the forest(going up).Snowy has my vote for the most difficult.

Snowy is by far the most difficult trail there. Maybe even in So. Cal. It is 1 of 2 double black diamond trails in ca. We are lucky to have it so close to home. I was there this weekend, 10/22/05 and there are still mudd puddles. Backbone trail was closed. tejon was still open though so it made the day a blast!