DR650 Buell Headlight Mod

SDEMONDO, I did the mod over the winter along with heated grips and a hardwire for my GPS and to this point I have had no problems. I don't know if the Buell light draws more than the stock one but I do know the grips and GPS have a very low amp draw. I don't always run everything at once but I have and my bike always starts right up

I don't think I've read about anyone else having problems.

Could I pickup on this and go back to the beginning....

I didn't understand about the Buell mounting hardware. Is there a piece that comes kitted with the headlights? or did you fiche it and figure out which part and order it separately? ?

I think the rest I could figger out.... did you just splice a second H4 Connector to your stock wiring harness?

thx. Great work!

You have to fabricate the mounting hardware yourself. The bottom is easy, I used some flat strap metal and made my own 90 degree angle to suite the height I wanted and the distance away from the forks/triple clamps I needed. The sides involved a little more trial and error, I used one inch flat strap from the side mount hole on the buell windshield bracket to one of the bolts on the upper triple clamp.It involved figuring out a length and then having to put a twist on each end. I played around with one until I was happy with it and then I used that as a template to make the second one.

For the wiring I cut the plug on the buell side and soldered on male flat connectors and plugged them into the Suzuki connector. I wanted to keep the Suzuki harness stock and was ( and still am ) thinking about wiring the lights so you could turn one on , both on, or turn both off as some guys have done and therefore considered my wiring temporary, however for the last 6 months it has worked great.

I hope this helps, "T"

• 2 months later...

I just bought the buell light set up for my bike it was 330$ Canadain and it should be here in about 2 week i hope, i have a question tho instead of putting in a relay so both lights stay on, on high beam couldnt u jsut leave ur switch in the middle so both lights stay on?

I just bought the buell light set up for my bike it was 330$ Canadain and it should be here in about 2 week i hope, i have a question tho instead of putting in a relay so both lights stay on, on high beam couldnt u jsut leave ur switch in the middle so both lights stay on?

Current draw would be too high for the switch..... I'm thinking the cost of a new switch assembly, almost $70, would exceed the cost of a relay. :eek:

Here's my Buell headlight mod. I mounted the lights high, I use a Chase Harper tool roll thing that mounts under it perfectly for tubes/flat kit.

As far as using a relay. They are cheap, and will make your lights work better, allowing you to use heavier guage wire to power the lights. I do have mine wired with a custom dash so I can run with both high and low beam on, without fear of damaging the stock wiring harness. (I can also run with NO lights, which I like to do when puttering around with the kids on 4 wheelers off road)

This Bike is for sale, in the Classified section or you can see it here or

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259743

DR6501M.jpg

DR6504M.jpg

hey DT, the light did come out nice. it's so funny how great these look on dirt bikes.

since i never made a good thread on what mine invovled, i'll add to this the info people always ask me.

first, the part #s from harley/buell...

M0023.1AJAYT - headlight grill $25

M1600.1ACMW - black windscreen $60 --$110.20 AUD

Y0421.1AD - headlight $59---$213.00AUD

M0645.1ADA - windscreen mount $24--$43.30AUD

Hi all,

I was looking at doing this conversion here in Australia but as usual we get screwed on pricing.

see above^? Headlight and Screen nil stock Australia 4 to 5 weeks wait and bracket 2 to 3 Days

Regards Aussie

[quote

Hi all,

I was looking at doing this conversion here in Australia but as usual we get screwed on pricing.

see above^? Headlight and Screen nil stock Australia 4 to 5 weeks wait and bracket 2 to 3 Days

Regards Aussie

Why not order directly from the States?? Having it shipped to you has got to be way cheaper than the prices you quoted, & you may even get the parts sooner than the your local dealer can get them

+1 on the states order. Those prices are a little old but 1.5 years ago that's exactly what I paid. I had to buy that stuff thru the harley/buell dealer, not really a bargain shoppers paradise (full retail).

You aren't kidding you are getting screwed - isn't an aus dollar worth about 90 cents US money?

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the parts to do this on my DRZ. Hopefully it all goes smoothly but it might be a couple weeks before I can get around to doing it.

I needed some clarification on one issue though. I'm no electronics wizard so I wasn't sure if I needed to add a relay so I could run both lights at once without burning out the switch on the handlebars?

Just got the parts to do this on my DRZ. Hopefully it all goes smoothly but it might be a couple weeks before I can get around to doing it.

I needed some clarification on one issue though. I'm no electronics wizard so I wasn't sure if I needed to add a relay so I could run both lights at once without burning out the switch on the handlebars?

You should add a relay. You probably would'nt burn up the switch but you may blow fuses and the stock wiring may not handle the extra load well so you would'nt get full voltage to run both lights therfore reducing lumens.

I would hook the low beam to the stock wiring and put the high beam on a relay so it is drawing power directly from the battery. That way the stock wiring will have the same load and the high beam will get full voltage

+1 on the relay, +2 on a second. The stock wiring for the low gets turned off by the dimmer switch when you turn the hi's on. So you have to wire the low some other way so it will stay on when you hit high.

I took one of the spare connections in the wiring mess (which comes on with key) and wired it to turn on the low beams relay. I then used the high beam's wire coming off the dimmer switch and used that to turn on the hi's relay. I explained this in detail in a post called "my buelling experience". One 16 gauge wire run from the battery thru a fuse can handle both relays so wiring a second is really not much more work (just wire it with a jumper off the first relay). Each light draws about 4 amps so that's (8 amps total) X 2 for safety = 16 amps, 16 gauge is rated for 22 amps. If you plan on adding more stuff like handwarmers off this feed I would run a 14 gauge wire to the relay. I run handwarmers and hi+low thru a 15 amp fuse and have not blown it yet

• 3 weeks later...