DR650 Buell Headlight Mod

This is one of the best mods so far to my 1998 DR650. It is so much lighter than stock and brighter than stock. Plus it looks :banghead: . Headlight Pic To install this light I removed all stock headlight hardware and brackets.Hardware I then bolted the light to the stock bottom hole in triple clamp.bottom bolt . Then I attached the buell supplied bracket to the light which the fly screen attaches to also top bracket . Last I made two brackets from 1/8 "X 1" stainless steel flat bar attach to the buell bracket up to my top triple clamp boltConnector bracket . This tied it all togeather and really made it part of the bike. Then just bolt the fly screen to the buell bracket. The wiring Andrew helped me with and I have his diagram if anyone wants it. The buell Dealer has all the parts you need the light, light bracket, flyscreen, and rockguard "only for looks" and a relay. In all it took A day to install and cost around $180 with odds and ends. It is very bright and does piss off people in cars in front of me mostly at night .Another Pic

hey DT, the light did come out nice. it's so funny how great these look on dirt bikes.

since i never made a good thread on what mine invovled, i'll add to this the info people always ask me.

first, the part #s from harley/buell...

M0023.1AJAYT - headlight grill $25

M1600.1ACMW - black windscreen $60

Y0421.1AD - headlight $59

M0645.1ADA - windscreen mount $24

i still think it would kick ass if someone got the clear blue windscreen and put it on a blue DR, DRZ S, or yamaha.

second here's how i wired my wifes bike (mine is a little more complex, allowing me to switch off the low beam and leaving only the parking light - the little bulb socket in the middle)

i used a Hella brand 12v/30amp relay, you can find these online or in auto stores. there are china made versions around as well. here is a great page on what relay is what... http://www.airheads.org/content/view/159/27/ - the one you need is the SPST, or letter L on that webpage, a double pole version would work as well, giving you two number 87's, but i would not use the double throw version that gives you an 87 AND 87a

in the diagram i have i show the parking light (P) wired with the low beam (L), you can just skip that if you don't want to use that. i just thought it fills in the H light a little when the H is not on. the diagram also shows the 86 pole splicing into the power to the handle bar switch, this can be spliced into any wire that is ignition switched -- the draw to the relay is not high enough to cause any issues....or so i think. =) basically we're using the default ON position of the bike to keep the L always on, then using the handlebar switch to turn the H on and off.

buell_wiring.gif

here's my drz and my wife's sherpa with this setup.

IMG_1103.jpg

i got the idea from reading a review of the city-x model in Roadracing world. they talked about the city-x being like a motard, and i thought...hmmm i have a motard, and i like those lights....and thus the buell headlight mod was born :banghead:

Nice thanks alot . :banghead: The real cool thing is that it fit the bike so well it was like it was made for it. Also It's made in the USA :banghead:

Can this be doen without the windscreen?? just the headlight?

do you still need the windscreen mount?

I guess my question is what do you need to just put the headlight on?

That's really sweet!

A few questions if you don't mind.

Is the Y0421.1AD - headlight $59 the whole unit or just the insert? I'm guessing the whole unit since you don't list anything else but I wanted to check. I'm also guessing that it's for each and I need two? $59 is just far too good a price for the two light setup so I had to ask.

And can you tell me the wattage of the bulbs in each side?

You see, I'm thinking of putting a pair like that on my Husky motard instead of the small unit but I don't want to strain the battery and charging system.

Can this be doen without the windscreen?? just the headlight?

do you still need the windscreen mount?

I guess my question is what do you need to just put the headlight on?

yes you can do without the windscreen, and no you would not need the mount. you would only need the headlight.

That's really sweet!

A few questions if you don't mind.

Is the Y0421.1AD - headlight $59 the whole unit or just the insert? I'm guessing the whole unit since you don't list anything else but I wanted to check. I'm also guessing that it's for each and I need two? $59 is just far too good a price for the two light setup so I had to ask.

And can you tell me the wattage of the bulbs in each side?

You see, I'm thinking of putting a pair like that on my Husky motard instead of the small unit but I don't want to strain the battery and charging system.

the $59 is for the whole headlight which contains two H7 bulbs, i'm not sure about wattage, but you can look up what most H7's are and you'd have a good idea. i run them on my wife's 12hp super sherpa that originally had a single H4, and it is fine.

one thing to remember is that on this light only one light is on for low beams and one for hight beams, but you can wire it so both high and low are on for high beams, or you can wire it so only the high is on when you switch to high.

can you take off the windscreen and take pics of the mounting points?

So this is literally bolt on

Looks cool.

That's some major league "bug" debris you got there. ;-)

Picked up those guys on the road that dead ends at the NASA launch facility. It runs along the mosquito lagoon. :banghead:

I just bought all the stuff to do the conversion, but I ride mostly offroad, would I benefit from buying some of that 3M headlight protector film? It seems to me one little rock hitting the light would break it.

This thread is one of the reasons I love Thumpertalk. Great idea. How much brighter are the dual lights over the stock setup? Thanks for sharing this info.

This thread is one of the reasons I love Thumpertalk. Great idea. How much brighter are the dual lights over the stock setup? Thanks for sharing this info.

They are very bright. On high beam thats with both lights on they are brighter than my chevy P/U. The stock light doesn't hold a candle to the buell setup. As I said before if I am riding behind someone at night it lights up the whole inside of the car and the back of the drivers head usually pissing them off :lol: . I just pass them knowing that they know I was there. :banghead: It good to know that some one is going to see you coming. :banghead:

I just bought all the stuff to do the conversion, but I ride mostly offroad, would I benefit from buying some of that 3M headlight protector film? It seems to me one little rock hitting the light would break it.

That sounds like a good idea. I was concerned about thss also because they are plastic lenses. So far they have held up to offroad punishment. But not too many rocks in Florida mostly sugar sand.

From the looks of them they don't look like they would survive a highsidish crash offroad. I came off a couple weeks back and my stock headlight bent down bigtime, but not a scratch to the headlight.

But thats stil damn cheap, very suprising its an american part.

Just one thing:

Where did you get it ?

Is there any online store which you have a link to?

I looked in this thread and saw prices etc, but could not find where you guys bought it :banghead:

/K

From the looks of them they don't look like they would survive a highsidish crash offroad. I came off a couple weeks back and my stock headlight bent down bigtime, but not a scratch to the headlight.

But thats stil damn cheap, very suprising its an american part.

Vash-

Between the highsiding and the low siding I am surprised you and your DR are still riding and writing OK. Just kidding - keep safe - you Aussies are some of the only folks around that we get along with - can't afford to lose the few we have left.

Great post - above and beyond the call of duty thanks