DR650 Buell Headlight Mod

And know this i've never had a broken bone in my life :banghead: That highside wasnt too drastic, maybe wasnt even a highside, was a very violent tankslapper that threw me off and bent all sort of bits on the DR, she took it in her stride and away we went!

As you must know, it's all about the landing, anyone can fly off one of these things. I ride like a girl and try not to crash (no offense to the thumpettes out there). I am used to crashing with my 25# MTB between my legs, it goes along for the ride, so I'd rather not do it with the 320# DR on which I will be along for the ride.

I also have never broken anything but fingers, but I have done some bad things to the old bodies cabling. That's usually worse than bones.

On second thought "Gravelrash07" might not agree with that (get well soon)

sorry I digress

Just one thing:

Where did you get it ?

Is there any online store which you have a link to?

I looked in this thread and saw prices etc, but could not find where you guys bought it :banghead:

/K

Oops

Sorry guys. Just realised that it is in fact real buell lights you talk about - so the answer to my question should be: At the closest Buell dealer :lol:

Thought it was just a look-alike setup...

I'll take a look at what its costs at my local dealer as opposed to ordering from buell usa...

/K

:banghead:

The only thing different at my dealer was the Grill, it cost $15.00 more...Probably a market fluctuation. Look to spend around $200.00 with tax and for all 4 parts.

I have been following this threads and am very interested in doing this modification. I have a couple of questions for those of you doing the Buell Headlight thing....... :lol:

Has anyone tried different colors other than black for the fairing? There looks to be some interesting color selections when you look at the Buell website:

http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes_gear/lightning/.

The Buell Lighting XB12 comes in a "thrust" blue and black. The XB9 has a "Hero Blue" which is a translucent color. I'm assuming that all of the Lighting models use the same mounting bracket and the same basic design for the fairing. :banghead:

I have a blue 2005 DR 650 and was wondering which one would be the best choice. Black isn't too exciting to me, The tanslucent blue looks a little funky... (it might be cool?) So ....... I guess that leaves the "thrust blue". :banghead: If anyone happens to have tried one the other colors I'd be happy to know if some of these other colors are a somewhat close match. Plus it would be interesting to know if the other colors fairing is more $$$$$

If my DR was blue I would have put on the thrust blue fly screen. :banghead:

As far as for the grill it serves no purpose other than to look cool. :banghead:

Has anyone tried different colors other than black for the fairing?

I have a blue 2005 DR 650 and was wondering which one would be the best choice. Black isn't too exciting to me, The tanslucent blue looks a little funky... (it might be cool?) So ....... I guess that leaves the "thrust blue". :banghead: If anyone happens to have tried one the other colors I'd be happy to know if some of these other colors are a somewhat close match. Plus it would be interesting to know if the other colors fairing is more

$$$$$

i think the translucent blue would look awesome. i think the thrust blue is a little less saturated than the zuki blue. if i were you i'd take off some plastic and just walk into a buell showroom. i doubt there is a price diff in colors, but i could be wrong.

Yeah I went to the only two Buell dealers in the area .. neither had a blue one. When I told them what I was up to they shook their heads and gave me the "&%$#@! are you doing look"..... :banghead:

If anyone out there has a blue Buell in a dealer show room near them, let me know how DR blue looks compared to it. ;-)

Thanks

Anyone tried the Ulysses windscreen???

Hokie

Sorry for a lurker to dredge up an old thread, but this has me intrigued. It looks like the Uly screen is identical save for being larger, so I would think it would bolt right up, right?

Hey guys - what black fron fender is that in the pics of the three bikes with the buell lights?

Thanks,

Phil

Hey guys - what black fron fender is that in the pics of the three bikes with the buell lights?

Thanks,

Phil

Thats a KTM Supermoto fender got it from KTM Hut for about $34.00. I have had it for about 6 months and think this is an outstanding mod. It's small enough to cut through the wind unlike the stocker and big enough to stop the mud and rain. :crazy: Was going to go with the acerbis but have heard it so small it dosent stop the mud and rain from flying in your face.

Thats a KTM Supermoto fender got it from KTM Hut for about $34.00. I have had it for about 6 months and think this is an outstanding mod. It's small enough to cut through the wind unlike the stocker and big enough to stop the mud and rain. Was going to go with the acerbis but have heard it so small it doesn't stop the mud and rain from flying in your face.

Liked the look of the KTM fender so I ordered one up here for the nice price of $23.00. www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktmstore/hardparts/supermoto.htm

Did a trial fit last night and see that I can make it work with a little drilling (lateral hole spacing is within 1/4 inch, front to rear hole spacing is off enough to require new holes that may be perilously close to the existing rear holes but should work). I haven't tried to fully compress the front end with the new fender in place but it looks like there's a real possibility that the tip of the front fender might contact the tire. It occurs to me that this risk is created/enhanced by the fact that my bike is lowered (internal spacers moved from top to bottom of fork springs) and I can also see that it probably wouldn't be a problem with a 17 inch front wheel.

Comments brimming with insight, helpful suggestions, and authoritative reassurance are invited.

Not sure this will meet your criteria but here it is.

I believe the front wheel when lowered (factory style) will bottom out inthe same place as an unlowered fork. They take the travel off the bottom, so the fork will "bottom out" in the same place. That is not to say that place the front wheel bottoms to does not share space with your new fender. If you feel like making a mess, pull the springs out and see if the wheel can hit the fender. Nice fender by the way, if they made it in blue or white I would get one. I have the "hero" blue Buell windscreen with white fender and stock white hand guards. I want to get real guards so maybe I can work the black fender into the new colors

I've got pretty much the exact same bike(the 2001 blue and white), and was planning the same thing, going with black supermoto fender and black acerbis(I guess?) handguards.

That headlight setup looks sweet. So there is no fabrication to get this on?

Also, would it be possible to use that mount, have the small buell windscreen, but change it out for something larger, if you are going on a longer trip/adventuring for extended period?

So, you fellers with the Buell windscreens...got any pics of the finsihed product? How bout some of the mounting process? I have a Honda, and think the red would be, um, Smashing....

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but, how does one side act as a high beam and one acts as low? I am thinking of buying some "diamond cut" lights off ebay made for the buell to avoid buying the whole case assembly. Are the two lights just angeled different? Or are the lights them selves different, or are the bulbs different?

Also, is the $60 the price of the whole light assembly, with lenses and all that?

The $60 is for the whole housing which includes the hi and the low (even bulbs). The hi and the low have different reflectors, the front lenses are at the same angle. Both bulbs are the same. Great mod, if you want to save money I would skip the windscreen, bracket and stone guard in that order

This thread doesn't want to die, I guess...

I just came across this thread, think the look is excellent.

I was curious about the power consumption -- is there any problem with these bulbs draining the DR650 battery or over-taxing the alternator?

When I picked-up the bike, the dealer mentioned that the electric output of the bike wasn't great (e.g., the starter tapped about 1/2 the battery on a cold start), and he advised I keep an eye on the battery. This thread made me wonder if this mod would over-tax the electrics and if an alternator re-wind would be in order (like what you would do to a dirt bike if you were going to add an enduro kit).

Any problems with this mod?

thanks.

I have a DR 350 thats all dual sported up. I would love to know if this set up would work on mine.