DR650 Buell Headlight Mod

does the screen work at all or is it just for show? I have a speed triple with the small fly screen and IMO it looks great but does very little!

I would say if mounted low it is probably similar to stock, When I did my dash I lifted it about 3" and now it does a little more, it is nothing like a small windshield though. It is a looks thing, but you need something to cover the wiring mess anyway

I don't think garymonster gets it. Either that, or he's one of those that are content with everything exactly as they buy it. He probably just doesn't get it though.

Hey Garymonster (what sort of a user name is that) piss off and polish your knob mate... didn't your mum ever tell you if you have nothing nice to say SAY NOTHING.. if you don't like the thread don't read it! Moroon

Is this?

5000 posts about a headlight mod? What the hell is wrong with you liberal monkeys? Get a grip.

There's much better things to harp on than modifying the 650 with better looking and performing lights that don't cost a bunch and possibly weigh less than stock.

For all of you that have done this mod, could you please post the name, address, and website (if possible) of the dealership you went through? I know that the original prices where from over a year or two ago, but the two closest dealerships around here want $120 for the headlight!!! I doubt the price has increased everywhere almost 200%!!!! Please help me out so I can find a dealership with some reasonable prices!

https://www.surdyke.com/hd/location.htm This where I got mine back in Sept..

Part No Description Qty Price

M0023.1AJAYT HEADLIGHT GRILLE 1 $32.71

M1600.1ACMW WINDSCREEN KIT WDECAL MIDNIGHT BLACK 1 $49.00

Y0421.1AD HDLIGHT ASSY RH TRAFFIC 1 $46.80

M0645.1ADA MOUNT HEADLAMP 1 $18.84

Sub-Total:

Shipping:

Tax:

Total: $147.35

$8.84

$0.00

$156.19

Thanks for the link and part #'s.

Part #Y0421.1AD, is this for both headlights?

Thanks for the link and part #'s.

Part #Y0421.1AD, is this for both headlights?

Yes - the lights are both mounted in one assembly, can't be separated.

The above price is a really good price. I know I paid almost exectly what was posted way back in this thread, which I thought was MSRP for buell parts. Surprising any dealer would give you a lower price, Not like there is any volume in a parts like these. I called a few shops and got the same prices everywhere so I just went to the local HD/buell dealer. Don't forget to park that zuk out back or who knows what price you'll get

BS1DH1%7EBIKE.jpg

Off topic, but still on Buells. How cool does this fairing look? That's some nice airbrushing. Came across it looking for Buell headlights. I want to do the Buell headlight mod on my bike.

came from here

BS1DH1%7EBIKE.jpg

Off topic, but still on Buells. How cool does this fairing look? That's some nice airbrushing. Came across it looking for Buell headlights. I want to do the Buell headlight mod on my bike.

came from here

Please don't put that on the front of your bike.

I called Surdyke Buell as there is a "superseded" part number for the headlight.

The new number is Y0421.1ADA and now costs $92.80. This is the new international part that combines USA/DOM/CAN certification and thus cost more. I asked if they could order the old Y0421.1AD part at $46.80 and they said no. My guess is you would have to find the old part in stock somewhere to get the old price. The several sites I checked just show the new (higher cost) version.

2002 Dr650SE

I called Surdyke Buell as there is a "superseded" part number for the headlight.

The new number is Y0421.1ADA and now costs $92.80. This is the new international part that combines USA/DOM/CAN certification and thus cost more. I asked if they could order the old Y0421.1AD part at $46.80 and they said no. My guess is you would have to find the old part in stock somewhere to get the old price. The several sites I checked just show the new (higher cost) version.

2002 Dr650SE

FWIW, I'm going to look at a Yamaha YZF dual headlight setup at the local salvage guy and take a look at the mounting lugs and overall measurements. He wants $10 for it!

I'm not cheap, just value driven..........

FWIW, I'm going to look at a Yamaha YZF dual headlight setup at the local salvage guy and take a look at the mounting lugs and overall measurements. He wants $10 for it!

There you go, trying to scorch the pavement on the cheap.

You could also try to find Suzuki DL1000 or Honda VFR 2002 or later headlights. These will melt the snow off the road in winter time. Well, that is if you don't live in FL :thumbsup:

If he's got the carb for the YFZ then grab that too :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobmws

X2 :busted:
If he's got the carb for the YFZ then grab that too :busted:

I'd already checked his carb stock, none there, I did find one through a craigslist ad. And it ROCKS!

Looked at the headlight, I'm sure I could mount it, but it uses two hi/low bulbs and I don't believe the DR has the excess power to run them both. Most reports seem to limit available wattage to around 80, not sure that's enough margin to run both bulbs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love the extra light. :thumbsup:

Looked at the headlight, I'm sure I could mount it, but it uses two hi/low bulbs and I don't believe the DR has the excess power to run them both. Most reports seem to limit available wattage to around 80, not sure that's enough margin to run both bulbs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love the extra light. :thumbsup:

I'm running a 55/60w + 55w.

Just need to hook up a voltmeter sometime just to check.

I'm running a 55/60w + 55w.

Just need to hook up a voltmeter sometime just to check.

You're right, :thumbsup: brain fart on my part, I was looking at 2 bulbs, not taking into account that one bulb is already accounted for in the 'house' load. Thanks.

awesome mod. my headlight just died on my 06 and im thinking about doing this . I wish there was a cooler looking wind guard to use though.