Sign in to follow this  

throttle sticking

Awhile back someone posted about a sticking throttle and someone else posted in response with short list of part numbers that fixed that problem - one of which was a throttle tube and two others I think were the left and right throttle housing..and I don't remember what the other part(s) were.

I've searched for throttle, sticking throttle...etc..and there's TONS of posts, if you happen to know the post I'm talking about, can you bump it to the top or at least send me the link to it? My throttle is getting to that point.

Thanks!

Try finding out why yours is sticking first...

Bet you could free it up with a simple cleaning and lube...

Mine got bad, turned out to be a throttle cable that had rubbed through and started to rust and hang so I needed a cable. Pull side I think...But if the cables get tight somehow, or you get dirt under the tube or a rusty cable...or just a mucky dirty housing can do it too...

Youd be better off looking at it first than running out and trying to buy parts before you knew exactly what was wrong...

Roller bearing throttle tube!!! I bought one a Wirtz aluminum tube from ebay for $20.00. from I have found that slow throttle return is usually due to dirt and crap between the bars and the tube and nothing to due with the cables. Clean the bars with brake cleaner and put the throttle tube on dry/clean bars. Just my .02

Try finding out why yours is sticking first...

Bet you could free it up with a simple cleaning and lube...

Thanks Shawn - I did pull it apart, the throttle tube is cracked, the left and right housing are worn down, the cables are in good shape, tug and release on the free end of the cable results in a swift return, I checked the routing of the cable since I had my tank off a couple of weeks ago to fix a stuck shroud bolt (that's another story though)...so since I've got everything apart, I might as well do the parts swap.

Roller bearing throttle tube!!! I bought one a Wirtz aluminum tube from ebay for $20.00. from I have found that slow throttle return is usually due to dirt and crap between the bars and the tube and nothing to due with the cables. Clean the bars with brake cleaner and put the throttle tube on dry/clean bars. Just my .02

I bought the bike used a few months back, when I got it, I went over it with a find tooth comb, I took apart lots of stuff, the first being the throttle because it was sticking just a tiny (and I do mean tiny) bit. I noticed the tube was partially cracked then and put it on my list to replace.

I'd love to have the roller bearing throttle tube, but will it work with Moose bark busters on a pro taper bar? If so, I'm sold!

Otherwise, I'll be sanding the bar a little and appying a little white lithium grease before I slide the new tube over the bar. I realize cleaning between the throttle tube is just part of the regular maintenance (especially as much as I lay the bike over in the sand) :banghead:

Pro-Taper offers a twister throttle tube ( the one with the ball bearing ) that you will also have the buy the bar insert Part # 02-1262 to be used with handguards.

Pro-Taper offers a twister throttle tube ( the one with the ball bearing ) that you will also have the buy the bar insert Part # 02-1262 to be used with handguards.

Thanks! Looks like I'll be buying one of these in place of the OEM throttle tube..

Now, if I could just get the part #'s someone said to replace for the other stuff - the plastic inserts inside the throttle housing I know, but someone mentioned another piece or two that wore down pretty quickly as well..