Juniper Forest

I was told that Juniper was open again. Can anybody confirm this and let me know, we would like to ride there again. Also is there a map on how to get there from Spokane Washington [ wich access road to take]. Thanks.

I was told that Juniper was open again. Can anybody confirm this and let me know, we would like to ride there again. Also is there a map on how to get there from Spokane Washington [ wich access road to take]. Thanks.

Just do a search, the answers are there. (not trying to be a a$$)

Tried a search and came up with nothing can you give me some ideas on searching for juniper forest.

Going south from Spokane on 395 or North from Pasco on 395 take the highway 12 turnoff east. Take 12 about 1 1/2 miles to the Pasco/Kahlotus highway even though the sign will mention only Kahlotus at first. Drive 5.6 miles to Peterson Road. You will see Martindale road before Peterson. At this Peterson junction there is giant yellow mail box. Take Peterson left and north. Go north about 4 miles until you see a large sandy parking area on your right.

I thought it was Peterson Rd. that the farmer closed off. Has there been a change that I missed somehow? Come on guys this is a public riding area there is no reason to be secretive about it. :banghead:

The road is still blocked off a mile from the first parking area. You can take your chances and go in like everyone else has been doing, but you are taking chances of a ticket.

Info emailed to PANTRA From EWDRA:

Subject : News About Juniper Dunes

I heard from the BLM. The Trust for Public Lands is actually working on access for Juniper Dunes. The BLM sent me the contact information for the project manager and I will be contacting him for more information and to see what the users might do to help the process along. I am also including the website for TPL if any wants to see what they are about.

http://www.tpl.org

=========================================================

Also this was posted on CR500Riders.com:

Yes. Its open as of October 8. Peterson road is open for now. Thats not to say it wont be shut down if stuff gets out of hand.

I have talked to a few people who said the farmer who owns the access road was getting implements shot at and hay bales burned. Broken glass and abandoned cars were common, which arent safe for livestock.

Unfortunately, its not us riders who burn and shoot at others property, its the ones who are not responsible in their actions. They make it tough for us to continue our sport.

But, now, its finally open again!

http://www.nmaoffroad.org/juniper.html

====================================================

So what's the deal open or not?

Info emailed to PANTRA From EWDRA:

Subject : News About Juniper Dunes

I heard from the BLM. The Trust for Public Lands is actually working on access for Juniper Dunes. The BLM sent me the contact information for the project manager and I will be contacting him for more information and to see what the users might do to help the process along. I am also including the website for TPL if any wants to see what they are about.

http://www.tpl.org

=========================================================

Also this was posted on CR500Riders.com:

Yes. Its open as of October 8. Peterson road is open for now. Thats not to say it wont be shut down if stuff gets out of hand.

I have talked to a few people who said the farmer who owns the access road was getting implements shot at and hay bales burned. Broken glass and abandoned cars were common, which arent safe for livestock.

Unfortunately, its not us riders who burn and shoot at others property, its the ones who are not responsible in their actions. They make it tough for us to continue our sport.

But, now, its finally open again!

http://www.nmaoffroad.org/juniper.html

====================================================

So what's the deal open or not?

Hey, that link is temporally closed. So the information is not available to us.

Which link is closed? I just clicked on both of them and they both worked???? :banghead:

Are you referring to the BLM Link after you go to the NMA link?

Yes, that has been temporarily closed for like 6 months - apparently, the BLM can't figure out how to get their website back online. :banghead:

Boy do I miss those dunes when I was in college. Great place to ride!!!

Thanks for the post to let us know it is open, think I'll make my way down there tomorrow to see what it is like? :banghead:

Just got word from the original open poster that Peterson Road is still CLOSED!!!!

:banghead:

Rode Juniper on Friday...Drove up Peterson Rd...No problems, parked at the lower lot. Upper lot has not had any people parking there for a long time.

Conditions were good, but the are needs more rain...Still green

Didn't see any other riders, but we had a great time... :banghead:

willyp19 - did you get the feeling that is is officially open now?

A couple of weeks ago a friend was talking with Doc Hastings (US Rep) and indicated that little progress was being made at all. If its open that's good news.

I would think it is open, becasue the gates are now open and the giant hay bales have been pushed aside...Farmers waved to us?

Seemed to be open to me? :banghead:

I live in the area and officially the road is not open. If Deruyter is looking the other way and letting people in count your blessings. Remember at any given time he can close the gates and call the cops just like last time :banghead:

I don't think he has any legal ground....There are no "No Tresspassing" signs or warnings, so If he locked the gates and called the cops...What grounds does he stand on, except wrongful imprisonment...Lock his ass up?

The only signs I saw were when I was at the lower lot facing west on his property.

I'm not going to ride there if we're not supposed to, but there needs to be some sort of information stating closed or open?

All the riders need to know...Right?

He closed the gates last year, now this year they are open and there are no warning signs for entering Juniper?

Let me know what you think...

Hey man, I think the idea is to be at peace with him. We don't want him locked up. We hope he will out of the good grace of his heart let us cross HIS ROAD. It certainly not his fault that we have this problem.

Hopefully the government agencies responsible for giving us access to our tax supported public riding lands will do something about it. But they have had years to act on this and have done nothing so don't hold your breath.