Sign in to follow this  

2006 KXF's - What oil are you running

The book says use the Castrol R4 Superbike, and I have always like Castrol so I am inclined to go with it. (Not cheap, but I am able to get it for 6.75/qt)

What is everyone else using, or even not using, and why.

Thanks

im not using it beacause i dont have mine yet but i was planning on using maxima Maxum4 Ultra 5w50..

any views on that oil?

im not using it beacause i dont have mine yet but i was planning on using maxima Maxum4 Ultra 5w50..

any views on that oil?

Sounds very similar to the Castrol R4. They are both Synthetics, but I am curious about the large viscosity spread of a 5w50. With as much as we change oil, probably not an issue.

Im using pro honda 20w-50 in my kawi just because i have a ton of it and i was on honda before. Plus its pretty good stuff

No toil makes some of KawaChem and ProHonda's products. I just run Mobil 1 10w40 Synthetic.

I hope thats not the automotive engine oil. :banghead:

I use gold spectra :banghead:

it is the automotive engine oil, Just not energy conserving. Mostly everybody around uses it and says its great. Its fully synthetic and works just like anything else.

I use the Motorex 10-40w top speed 100 % senthetic oil. I have ran that oil in my 04 and 05 YZFs and have yet to have engine problems. I will probibly never own another oil brand. Motorex is the real deal

im currently using motul e tech 100...10-40 100% synthetic...kinda expensive but its really good stuff...i think im gunna shop around and try some differnt oils though...

Yeah, It seems like a good synthetic is what the majority of the riders are using. AS much as we change the oil/filter we could shop around for a less expensive brand.

I wont ever run maxima. Our team mechanic also runs a bike performance shop. He sold Maxima brand for a while. but he dosent anymore. he blew up a bike because the air filter oil wasnt thick enough and dirt just basically fell threw the filter. he said the oil just kinda dried up. this might have been a fluke but it happened to his sons 125 twice. needless to say he wont sell maxima anymore. but you guys might have better luck

I have been using castrol 20-50 since I got my first `04.I use it in my `05 and `06 with no problems.My son rides three times a week so I change it after each time.He`s a district 14 A rider,so he`s not easy on equipment.I tried other oils and had clutch and main bearing problems,switched back to off the shelf castrol and have had NO problems since.I buy 5 Qt. containers at walmart, believe it or not,and change it often.

Bel-ray Thumper 20w-50, have run it in evry 4 stroker she has had and never one problem.

ALL PLEASE READ

It would appear that there is not only a difference in the synthetic brand that we are all using, but in fact a difference in the typ of oil itself.

That would be synthetic vs. Traditional vs. Semi-synthetic.

My most recent experience has been with Honda who splits the oil between motor and clutch, so I could run synthetic for the motor and a traditional for the clutch.

If as the Yamaha does, the Kawi is using one oil for both I wonder about the effect on the clutch life (i.e. clutch slip)

Are there any potential down sides to to any one type over the other as long as you avoid the "friction modified"?

Anyone have clutch slipping with a particular oil?

ALL PLEASE READ

"?

Anyone have clutch slipping with a particular oil?

The whole "don't use energy conserving thing" is beat to death, so I doubt anyone has used the stuff.