Sign in to follow this  

trailer swaying

I have a new 32" all americian sport toy hauler. I love the trailer but is not much fun to pull on hwy. If there is no wind pulls fairly straight but if it gets a little windy or transports passes it sways badly. I have a 1/2 ton with air bags load bars and sway bars but still moves around alot. Have used 3/4 ton dodge same set up still sways alot (and it does`t pull any better) Anybody have any ideas to help this?

Although the 1/2 may "pull" the same (engine really isn't best gauge of towing ability), the 3/4T is inherently set up to pull better. It is built for heavier loads, although most 3/4T have same engine (w/o upgrade option) as the 1/2T models.

You may have the WD (weight distributing) hitch set-up off. If you are not using a WD hitch you should be. Even if the rear doesn't squat too much the WD will shift some of the tongue weight to the front end if the TV (tow vehicle) helping the steering ability. With all the weight at the raer of the TV the steering wheels may not react as they are suppose too (you will have to over compenstae) possibly causing some of the sway. You can get most hitch set-up directions from the manufacturers website. Not all dealers will install the hitch correctly, so you should do it youself now that you know this may be the problem. Chances are unless you installed the towing package on the 1/2T it's built in hitch is not adequate w/o the WD set-up.

You can also be packing the trailer unevenly. If you have all your goods to the front or back this can cause some towing issues, usually porposing (up down between TT & TV). If all the goods are packed to one side, you may cause some issues as well. If the Water tanks are only on one side you may want to pack all the goods on the other side etc....

Unless you have a kingcab/longbed chances are the TT is just a bit long for the tow vehicle. Maybe you need a dual cam set-up.

I towed a 24-ft ToyHauler with a 1/2T and it was over my specs. Unless there is a Canadian conversion factor I am unaware of your TV is not suited to tow that TT. It is just not safe.

Check out www.rv.net/forums for any towing questions you may have. It is possible that someone on that site has ytour exact set-up and can give you better advice.

List your TV specs and your TT (travel trailer) specs int he post to help out anyone giving you advice.

Good Luck.

D

I have a new 32" all americian sport toy hauler. I love the trailer but is not much fun to pull on hwy. If there is no wind pulls fairly straight but if it gets a little windy or transports passes it sways badly. I have a 1/2 ton with air bags load bars and sway bars but still moves around alot. Have used 3/4 ton dodge same set up still sways alot (and it does`t pull any better) Anybody have any ideas to help this?

well you don't have enough truck, ( but thats another story )

check out the "Hensley arrow weight distrubution hitch"

every pull behing trailer should have this hitch, its fantastic, it will fix all you problems,----but they are not cheep,-----they can be had for about 1700 to 2000------but my air ride hitch for my 40' 5er is over 3000 :banghead:

or get a tripple axle 5th wheel and now you have the best towing rig made.

i think you and i have the same trailer, except mine is the all american sport tripple axle 40' unit made by forest river,-----its as nice as they come !!

just get a real hitch and learn to use it ----you will be amazed,

the arrow kinda turns you wiggle wagon tow behind into a 5er ,

it looks like an upside down 5er the way it hooks up to your diff and allows you to transfer 2000 lbs to your ft wheels ,

thats what your missing is weight on your ft wheels ,

you wont like the price but its the best out there,

don't feel bad the air ride holland slider for my 610 volvo is over 8000. :banghead:

Thanks for the feedback guys. But like I mentioned I have towed this trailer with 3/4 ton dogde p/u and it did not handle any better than my truck. As far as I know everything is setup correctlly. This is my first tag along trailer have had a 5th wheel car hauler 32" also with no problems at all. Is this type of trailer prone to more sway than others because of the added weight in the garage portion of trailer? Or is it setup? Thanks again.

You didn't mention which truck you have and what year it is. My 04 F-150 has a max tow capacity of 9,300 lbs. That is the max. Given that fact I would not consider towing anything more than a 26' TB.

Without knowing exactly what you have I am just speculating but I think you are way overloaded even for a 3/4 ton truck (you didn't say what that was either).

I suspect with a 1 ton truck and a proper hitch set up your problems will be cured. Either a smaller trailer or a larger truck... I think those are your options. Even with a "super hitch" I don't think your liability problems would go away if you were ever involved in an accident.

Best of luck with your combination.

Thanks for the feedback guys. But like I mentioned I have towed this trailer with 3/4 ton dogde p/u and it did not handle any better than my truck. As far as I know everything is setup correctlly. This is my first tag along trailer have had a 5th wheel car hauler 32" also with no problems at all. Is this type of trailer prone to more sway than others because of the added weight in the garage portion of trailer? Or is it setup? Thanks again.

Please describe your "sway" in detail. Is it like the trailer wants to tip over? Or is it trying to twist your whole rig from the center out? If it is like it is tipping over then I would suspect trailer load, tire pressure, Improper tires, broken spring, or something to that nature. A little more information on what you mean by sway would be helpful though. Hope this helps.

Josh

i will say it again,

you need the HENSLEY ARROW HITCH,

ALL PULL TRAILERS are bad for sway, your not helping by being way overloaded and illeagle on the poor truck,and only having 2 axles on the trailer.----and the trailer in a toyhauler witch always gets way to much in the rear.

but a real hitch will fix your sway,

i have an air ride hitch, and air ride on the rear of my truck , and i have the rancho 9000 adjustable shocks ,-------and i can adj the truck height and the trailer height and the damping of the shocks all on the fly ,

this is really great for getting the best smoothest ride,

so yes set up is in question

, but first get the arrow

it will make it more like your 5er by moving the weight up to the diff and then with the distribution bars you will be able to add way more weight on the ft of your poor little 1/2 ton ,

then you can see how unlevel the trailer is and you can work on fixing that ,

if your still running those junk carlise d rated 15" trailer tires on the unit , and a junk c rated car tire on the truck that will be another problem you need to fix,

the 16" Michelin xps rib are the only real 10 ply e rated trailer tire that live and work on the truck and trailer,

they are an all steel construction and are a commercial tractor use tire made for 16" wheel for towing , these run 80 psi and have no sway in them at all ,

i have the same tire and wheel on the truck and trailer .

it takes alot of time and effort to get a unit to work on the road,

the tow trailer is one of the worst to get dialed in.

i tow heavy weekly and i have lived at the race tracks most all of my life and i know about trying to work with these lightweight trucks and way to much of a trailer and being loaded heavy in the rear.

you need a real hitch to begin with .

First: as mentioned, give us what type of truck you have.

Second: give us what brand of hitch you have AND it's weight rating, including spring bars.

Third: what type of anti-sway bar(s) to you have.

Fourth: when empty, measure the distance from the ground to the top of your rear bumper on flat ground and let us know.

Fifth: load the trailer as normal and repeat the above and let us know.

Sixth: when loaded and ready to go look at your rig from the side about 20' away, is it level all the way? is it hitch/tongue low? is it hitch/tongue high?

Seventh: what is the weight of your trailer according to the manf. sticker, or better yet go have it weighed.

You have been given a lot of good info, now you must act on it in order for us to give you any help.

BTW, you need to look up you trucks towing capacity and compare it to the weight of your trailer, you will find that you are WAY overloaded which will put you in legal trouble should you ever have any kind of an accident. Just do it and be safe, nobody wants you to get hurt.

BTW II, you have the rear garage correct? you could have too little tongue weight.

the problem could be that you may have to much weight in the back and that causes the trailer to push your vehicle around. they sell a tortion bar set up that goes on the front around the tung. that could possibly help.

Just recently a friend was told by his insurance company that his trailer was too big for his vehile and he would not be insured. Ive seen over loaded trailers overwhelm 1/2 ton TV. It's not pretty and it's almost always toy haulers. There are so many variables. Is the 3/4 ton dodge lifted? Proper load range tires? Most likely a loading problem in the trailer. Good luck

i will say it again,

if your still running those junk carlise d rated 15" trailer tires on the unit , and a junk c rated car tire on the truck that will be another problem you need to fix,

the 16" Michelin xps rib are the only real 10 ply e rated trailer tire that live and work on the truck and trailer,

they are an all steel construction and are a commercial tractor use tire made for 16" wheel for towing , these run 80 psi and have no sway in them at all ,

i have the same tire and wheel on the truck and trailer .

it takes alot of time and effort to get a unit to work on the road,

the tow trailer is one of the worst to get dialed in.

i tow heavy weekly and i have lived at the race tracks most all of my life and i know about trying to work with these lightweight trucks and way to much of a trailer and being loaded heavy in the rear.

you need a real hitch to begin with .

:applause::ride: Trailer sway problems can be a nasty problem to solve with so many variables involved, but tires can sometimes be the one simple fix right down to pressure.

Are you sure the Dodge is a 3/4 ton? My buddy has a Dodge truck which looks bigger than my F250 but its a 1/2 ton. Their is a big difference when towing with 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton if you can't tell the difference their is a problem. Something not adding up :applause:

thats not bad i was trailering 3 bikes down the free way and they all fell over luckily none hit the road.....it scared the shit out of me

Where is the rear axle, it is toward the rear more or centered? What is your tounge weight? Too little tounge weight will do the same thing. Does the trailer hang out into the air stream (wider than the tow rig) this will do it also. Is it much taller than the tow rig? Too much air hitting the top pushes it backwards reducing tounge weight. Load bars will make the trailer and truck frame appear as one, a sway device keep the trailer from "toggling" back and forth. I had the same deal, fixed it by selling the trailer and buying another! A longer tounge will help, but you need to get more weight on the tounge and its not always possible.