USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Do I need to rejet my TTR 125 with a few mods?

I just purchased a 2005 TTR125LE and am wondering if I need to move my needle up or rejet? All I have done is opened up the top of the air box (screen and stock filter still in place) and removed the bafle at the end of the stock pipe. I have taken my mixture screw out to 2 and a 1/2 turns and it seams to run real strong. I live in California at about 800 feet elevation. I just don't want to harm the bike by being to lean. Thank's for your input. By the way these 2 cheap mods make a big difference!!!

Brandon

if i was you i would put the baffle back in if you r riding in the woods it pisses people off and can actually cause forest fires u should go for an exhaust system or muffler great sound and way more power ( pro circuit pipe or bbr) and the taking out of the baffle barely does anything besides to the sound you could probly just adjust your needle by the way i ride an 04 dr-z125L so i know what im talkin about

Hey, what's up Brandon! If I were you and I live in California at about the same elevation. Instead of messing with the needle (considering your upgrades are minimal) I would just rejet the carbuerator. The pilot jet should be upgraded to a 17.5 and the main a 110. This will make starting easier and make the bike a less cold start up bike. It will also compliment the open airbox nicely. You can remove the backfire screen if you like, it is not going to help with the current upgrades being there. Taking the baffle out of the pipe is not a bad thing but you are using some form of arrestor right? If not, use one, unless your riding in an area that permits riding without it. Remember, loud does not equal power, refined performance does. Let us know how it goes and feel free to ask questions. The guys on this site with these bikes have a ton of information that can help you.

I actually drilled out the baffle insert with a hole saw. So I have the factory spark arrestor in place and the end cap back on, just without the small baffle tube. I now have a 1 1/4 inch exhaust opening. I did try to raise the needle up one notch and adjusted the mixture screw out to 3 turns and it seams to run perfect. I pulled the plug and I have a nice dark tan color on the tip. The bike has much more power and sounds great. My wife will be riding this bike most of the time but it is like my play bike too. Do you still think I need to rejet?

Brandon

Your plug seems as though the burn is fine and it is definitely an indicator of a lean condition if it begins to whiten. Since you say the bike is running fine and you have noticed power gains then I say fine, leave it alone. By playing with the needle and fuel screw you have added fuel which is what the jetting would have done. The jetting would have probably just taken less time. If your happy and your plug continues to read nice, enjoy!!!

by the way i ride an 04 dr-z125L so i know what im talkin about

:banghead:

So then, if I knew a guy that had a Dodge Ram 4x4 extra cab with a Magnum V10 under the hood and he asked me about a way to get more power out of it, and I drive a Toyota extra cab am I qualified to give advice to him on his truck just because I drive a truck too? :banghead:

Compared to the pipe in its stock form, I would not be surprised in the least if someone that took the baffle completely out noticed a ton more power from doing it.

Btw, have you actually ever heard of someone starting a fire from running without a SA in their pipe?

I sure as hell haven't. The possibility is there, remotely, but in real life I seriously doubt there is much chance of it. If dirtbikes were that big of a menace the race bikes would come with the $2 part too.

Brandon, let the way the bike runs be the judge of if you need to rejet or not. If you're getting popping on deceleration, hesitation, bogging, or hard starting you could probably use a rejet.

Even if it is running ok, the bigger pilot jet will make it easier to start and warm up faster. Especially if you're at 3 turns out on the fuel screw.

I agree with cobra427 on his recomendation that you will probably be happy with the 17.5/110 combo. The mods you have done will most likely support those.

Thanks for the advice. The bike is still very new, so I think we will ride it some and keep an eye on the motor and plug. What size are the stock jets anyway?

Brandon

:banghead:

So then, if I knew a guy that had a Dodge Ram 4x4 extra cab with a Magnum V10 under the hood and he asked me about a way to get more power out of it, and I drive a Toyota extra cab am I qualified to give advice to him on his truck just because I drive a truck too? :banghead:

lol maybe he thought he was in the klx forum since the drz and klx are exactly the same except fot the name and color....and wonder if he could tell me how to turn my jeep into a super beast???