TTR125 - Max Power - Mods available

I am trying to find a bike for my wife. She is only 4'11" tall, so I need something with a very low seat height like a TTR (hopefully it is low enough, havn't had her sit on it yet). But I want her to be able to keep up with the rest of us when riding, and be able to do very big hill climbs and such.

I don't mind spending $1,000 to $2,000 on modifications for her, I am just trying to find a bike with a small frame to start with and the electric start is a big plus also. I thought the TTR would be the best one out of the available 125s.

Can I get enough power out of the TTR to satisfy an adult? I think I have read about putting a big bore kit (150cc I think), new carb, exhaust, and suspension. Any other way to get power out of this bike?

OK, before anyone tells me to read the sticky at the top of the board. I just did. It had some great information about getting power out of the bike.

So only one question remains. With all the mods listed can this bike keep up with some of the bigger brethren? My wife only weighs 100lbs so she won't be weighing down the bike.

I strongly recommend the ttr. My son is the same height as your wife and he barely can touch but my son weighs 85lbs. and my bike has fast 50s suspension for jumping a little see the bike has a stiff suspension setup. With the stock suspension your wife should be okay. Stock the suspension is supple but if your over 140lbs. and ride really aggressive your going to want to get a different oil weight or bbr suspension upgrade. See bbrmotorsports.com for upgrades for this bike. Power wise, the bike makes 8-9 hp and is satisfying for a newbie shorter adult or child especially on trails. There are mods that can be done and for an indepth look check out ttr125l.com or do a search on tt. The bike has a big following and plenty aftermarket support. The bike can be set up as a nice trail bike, left alone for simple recreational riding or extremely modified for mini moto racing. If you choose to put $1000 (as you say you are willing) into a new bike or good used ttr 125, she should be satisfied. By the way, the bike is bulletproof and very durable. The replacement parts are easy to come by and relatively cheap. Good luck and you won't be sorry if you buy the ttr125 and use it within its means or within the perimeters of how you set the bike up. I ride motocross on a yz420 but use my ttr 125 to race with my son on the mini moto track. Good luck and spend wisely!!! :banghead: Here's a pic.....minimoto.jpg

I have already done the airbox, exhaust, carby jetting (17.5 pilot - 110 main) on my partners bike and she loves it. I even use the bike for warming up on every morning before a ride. The next thing on the list for it is the big bore 150 kit then to set up the suspension (YZ fork conversion). I have heard that somebody even does a big bore 170 kit for it that I am following up on although I am waiting to hear more about the YZ150F rumour before I go to much further.....

Just to give you some information on the 170 kit should you ever choose to go that route. The company known for widely performing this upgrade is at the website www.loganbuilt.com

Depending on what and how the rest of you ride the TTR125 may never have enough guts to keep up no matter what you do. The TTR125 is a great bike no matter how you look at it, but it is no horsepower king.

My wife loves hers to death, and rides it very well, but there is no way in heck that she could keep up with my yZ450 on the trails or hill climbs. And when you talk about modding a 7hp engine, you are talking about maybe giving it 11-15hp which is still pretty weak depending on what type of hill climbing you are doing.

I might look into a YZ85 for her and spend the money on lowering it for her...

Just what type of riding are you doing?

My 12 year old went from his TT-R125 to a YZ-85 and after two rides refused to ever get back on the TT-R125! So, I am selling it to a co-worker for his son.

He even trail rides his YZ-85 and loves it there.

Depending on what and how the rest of you ride the TTR125 may never have enough guts to keep up no matter what you do. The TTR125 is a great bike no matter how you look at it, but it is no horsepower king.

My wife loves hers to death, and rides it very well, but there is no way in heck that she could keep up with my yZ450 on the trails or hill climbs. And when you talk about modding a 7hp engine, you are talking about maybe giving it 11-15hp which is still pretty weak depending on what type of hill climbing you are doing.

We will mostly be doing trail riding, pretty fast trails, and alot of hills. Can a YZ85 be lowered to a seat height of 30 inches?

I would look at a lowered KX100 - big wheels (19/16 front/rear) plus nice torque for all-around use. I know a 5' 1" woman who rides one and loves it.

Of course, I also have two modded TTR125Ls in the garage with the WORKS, so I don't think it's a bad choice, either. :banghead: