Sign in to follow this  

taming the TC 450

of course it is not news that many customers in the US have purchased leftover 2004 tc450 at very low prices .some people have of course bitten off more bike than they can chew.i get asked alot by customers what can be done by the more average riders to tame the beast for more casual trail use.many have tried a smaller front sprocket but no one i know is to pleased with the results.how about some sugestions that are guanteed to give satisfactory results?thanx,dan.

A larger front sproket would calm it down.

More top end but less arm jerking power.

A smaller one would make it more of a hand full.

Dan,

Tell them to install the TE intake cam. I've got one used for sale. :banghead:

Also, seems to me the TC has a lighter flywheel so getting the flywheel out of a SM or TE would make the bike more torquie and slower to rev.

-Race about a dozen cross country races on it. It won't have near the punch or at least you will be so used to it, it seems tame! Be sure to drag race every YZ4xx that you can find.

-Gain about 50 lbs because you have the power to spare.

-Trade it to me for a TE250!

Seriously,

I would think that installling one of those auto clutches would help most folks.

I found that installing the FCR helped not only the carbueration but the bike just seems much more smoother.

Put in the TE can.

That REALLY mellows things out. IMHO thats the cheapest fastest bestest way to tame the beast.

What i would do to make the TC450 a trail bike:

1) 10 oz (or more) trail tech flywheel weights.

2) TE 450 can (you need it for legal trail riding anyway)

3) IMS tank

4) Steering stabilizer

5) 2005 TE 450 cam

6) re-jet (run leaner)

7) FCR or Edelbrock carb.

8) Rekluse auto clutch

9) re-wound stator/HID light

10) ICO rally computer

if you still need to mello it out--run a lower compression piston.

I would run 14-48/15-52 gearing for woods and 15-48/16-52 for desert for guys under 200lbs.

tell em don't be shy in feathering the clutch in tough trail conditions, but beware on hot summers days feathering the clutch in slow terrain can lead quickly to a hot bike.

The 04 TC & TE 450's share the same camshafts according to the parts manuals.The 05 TC & TE do not share the same cams.

The 05 TE inlet cam definetly improves torque & starting.

Fit the TE silencer & flywheel weight.

Also good option is to fit a 39mm FCR off a YZ426 or YZ450.The TPS connects straight on.Smoother power & torquer.A bit less top end rush.

Put in the TE can.

That REALLY mellows things out. IMHO thats the cheapest fastest bestest way to tame the beast.

What i would do to make the TC450 a trail bike:

1) 10 oz (or more) trail tech flywheel weights.

2) TE 450 can (you need it for legal trail riding anyway)

3) IMS tank

4) Steering stabilizer

5) TE cam

6) re-jet (run leaner)

7) FCR or Edelbrock carb.

8) Rekluse auto clutch

9) re-wound stator/HID light

10) ICO rally computer

if you still need to mello it out--run a lower compression piston.

I would run 14-48/15-52 gearing for woods and 15-48/16-52 for desert for guys under 200lbs.

Last I looked the TC shipped with the TE muffler installed but also came with the TC muffler. Is that no longer the case?

Greg

that is the case gregg.they come with both cans usually.my thoughts after reading some of the responses are on the flywheel weights.i think this would help do what many of these customers are complaining about.stalling issues and a tall first gear and then starting without a hot start.is there a specific flywheel weight kit for this bike or one that people can recommend?thanx,dan.

my understanding is the 2006 Huskies have a heavier flywheel-so maybe just get the OEM part-if that rumor is true.

if not then get the KTM flywheel-its the same as the one on the Husky:

http://www.trailtech.net/flywheel_1.htm

Baja Designs has successfully used these flywheels for the Husky--so it might prove best to call them and buy threw them so you get the correct parts.

Plus they are a great business...

Halls and Taskys both (I think) have flywheel weights for the Husky's.

I installed the 14 tooth CS sprocket and I like it alot better. I'm not shifting nearly as much between 2nd and 3rd. I ride mostly in 2nd with occasional 3rd gear now. Of course this is on tight / windy trails.

Jerry