jetting info for DRZ

Just picked up a low-hour '01 DRZ 400 (kicker model). It has a Yoshi R3 pipe and an FMF powerbomb header. Everything else looks pretty much stock. The previous owner did some re-jetting, but it doesn't seem to run real great at lower rpms, and the throttle resonse is not smooth. Any body have a good starting point for jetting? It's also pretty loud with the Yoshi pipe. I understand that there is some insert that is supposed to bring it down to 96DB or 93 DB depending on which insert you choose. Anybody got any experience with the Yoshi TCP inserts?

Thanks

is the snorkle out?

you will need to do a little home work on what jetting the carb has now.

i can suggest a setting,but current jetting plays a big part in that.

some people get crazy and hurt the bike more than help when jetting.it could be a simple fix or may need many changes.

Just picked up a low-hour '01 DRZ 400 (kicker model). It has a Yoshi R3 pipe and an FMF powerbomb header. Everything else looks pretty much stock. The previous owner did some re-jetting, but it doesn't seem to run real great at lower rpms, and the throttle resonse is not smooth. Any body have a good starting point for jetting? It's also pretty loud with the Yoshi pipe. I understand that there is some insert that is supposed to bring it down to 96DB or 93 DB depending on which insert you choose. Anybody got any experience with the Yoshi TCP inserts?

Thanks

i have the yosh slip-on too, it came with an insert that is more restrictive and has a spark arrester. i hate useing it though, not loud enough and it kills my low end. i want to get the powerbomb too, now i know it will fit the yosh. i bet that makes your bike louder.

Jetting makes a huge difference on these bikes. I have a 01 kicker and when I bought it the power was really weak. A friend of mine was the original owner and I jetted it for him using the same specs that I used on my old DRZ (JD blue needle 4th clip, 158 main, 45 pilot, fuel screw 2.5 turns out). My friend sold the bike to another guy which was the guy that I bought the bike from. I assumed that the jetting was the same as it had been after I rejetted it but I was wrong. I checked the main and the guy had put a 180 main jet in it :banghead:. I left the 180 main in and did a test run on a piece of paved road that was close to a 4% grade. I marked a start point and an end point and did a few roll on drag runs and was averaging about 55 miles per hour which was about the same speed that I could do the same run in my diesel pickup. I went down to a 165 main to start and picked up about 7 mph, then I went to a 160 main and picked up another 6 or 7 mph. I ended up with the 158 main back in the bike and was able to do the same run at 80 mph a full 25 mph faster than the run with the 180 MJ. I guess what I am trying to get at is that what burned said about people doing more damage then good when rejetting is true. People have the notion that a bigger main jet means more power but that is false. I have had good luck with both of my DRZ's by jetting down until the bike cuts out at WOT and then running the main jet that is 2 sizes bigger than the size that made the bike cut out.