Nissan Titan???

I need a new truck. Anyone have any thoughts on the Titan? I don't want Chevy again (I think they've given up and are waiting on '07), I just didn't like the Ford. I like Dodge. I really do. But I wan't a full crew cab. The extended cab is not quite big enough and the Mega cab is, well, MEGA. Holy crap is that thing big.

Any known problems, issues, etc. w/ the Titan.

The Titan gives you a lot of bang for your buck! Also very fun to drive.

I have the 04' 2wd KingCab, and am very happy.

I've always been a Ford guy when it came to trucks, so I surprised myself when I bought the Titan.

Let me get this out of the way...Enough of this "japanese junk trucks" heard quite a bit on this forum, this is the excact crap I hear from all my Harley buddies when they find out what brand motorcycle I own. The Japanese build GREAT bikes, and most people here own one, so why the bad-mouthing on their trucks?

The Tundra & Titan are 1/2 ton trucks, so please no "not a real truck" from guys with 3/4 & 1 ton trucks...comparing apples & oranges.

The late model Titans have got the front brake issues down, and the rear end failures heard so often have been way overblown. There have been plenty of so-call American trucks with brake re-calls, and a few had trans issues.

The Titan is a full-sized truck, quite roomy inside, and full of features. Go test drive one, see if it's for you...

By the way, great engine/trans combo on the Titan...who else knows how to build a silky smooth 4 valve per cyl, chain driven DOHC engine?....We all know the answer, the Japanese!

If your going too tow, get the TITAN :banghead: Trailer Life magazine, put out by Good Sam Club, tated it the best 1/2 ton tower available :banghead: I drive a Nissan Frontier, 50,000 miles and still no new squeaks, i'll buy Nissan again. The TITAN fwiw is assembled in Mississippi too..

RIck

toyotas have nothing on nissan specally offroad. the only reason everyone thinks they're cool is because of the big after market they have and need to be able to out perform a nissan.

So,everbody buys Toyota vehicles(now the 2nd largest auto maker in the world) because they think their "cool" and people like to put after market parts on them to get them to perform???

Sorry,but that's not why Toyota out performs Nissan in sales.Its called fit/finish,and exceptional quality. :banghead:

I can tell you've never worked for a company thats had to supply Toyota with parts. GM,Nissan,and Ford is hard to please,but pleasing Toyota is a living nightmare.We can always let things slide and mix a few "borderline" mediocre parts in with the good ones with Nissan,but you don't try that kinda crap with Toyota.Honestly, I hate dealing with them as a vendor,but they're demanding when it comes to quality from all their suppliers,and it adds up to an overall better built vehicle in the end.

Im not saying Nissan has poor quality,because they don't.I've been in the Smyna Nissan plant many times and have seen the Frontier,Pathfinder,Maxima,and Altima being built first hand.They build a good vehicle,but just simple stuff like the acoustic dash insulators that goes in the Nissan is cheaper/thinner(excluding the Maxima)part than the Toyota has.Its really hard to explain without being in both the Georgetown, KY Toyota factory,and the Smyrna,TN Nissan factory and seeing all the vehicles being assembled from hundreds of different vendors.

Having said all that, I still like the Titan,and Im looking at them pretty seriously myself.It does have a few problem spots like the brake judder,rear ends,and dash rattles,but I think most of those are fixed or easily fixable,well except for the rear end which I do think is a problem,to a degree,but since I don't tow anything but my bikes I'd probably not worry about it.The engine/tranny combo is super sweet.I like the engine much better than I do my Tundra.....I think Nissan nailed it with the Endurance/5spd combo.

Some guy at TitanTalk said it best: "The Tundra is a fine surgical tool,and the Titan is a sawzall." Some people prefer the surgical tool,and some people like the good ole sawzall.

The TITAN fwiw is assembled in Mississippi too..

RIck

Yeah, and thats its weakness.The quality control at the Canton plant isn't the best,but NIssan is working really hard trying to get them "up to speed.".I have several friends that work at the Smyrna Plant that have had to go to the Canton palnt and re-train somebody that has already been re-trained. It's just growing pains though,and in a couple of years things will be on track.

Thankfully those sweet engines that go in the Titans,and Frontiers are out of the Decherd plant.

The late model Titans have got the front brake issues down, and the rear end failures heard so often have been way overblown. There have been plenty of so-call American trucks with brake re-calls, and a few had trans issues.

So brakes and rear end have been the problems in the past? The rear end isn't like the old Dodges is it? I had a Dodge (late 90s). Someone once asked me, "Transmission gone yet?" When I replied, "No". He replied, "Don't worry, it will. Give it time" He turned out to be correct.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

There is one big issue with Titan nobody has mentioned.

The load capacity of the Titan is like 1200 pounds (rather low for me)......Z71 is 1700 pounds.......Tundra is around 1680 pounds......all for similar cab/drive configurations. I think they soften the springs to get an edge on the competition for that smooth "showroom" ride.

Add it all up guys.......cab full of people, campershell on bed, bike on the hitch, and a bed full of a weeks worth of camping/riding gear.

Its well over 1200 pounds......more like 1600 pound for me.

BlackBuzzard

I can tell you've never worked for a company thats had to supply Toyota with parts. GM,Nissan,and Ford is hard to please,but pleasing Toyota is a living nightmare.

Your post reminded me of some of the guys I ride with. They work for DURA Automotive Systems which is a parts supplier for the industry worldwide.

They said that Toyota is absolutely the most difficult customer to work with in the industry. They are endlessly going back and forth with Toyota until the manufactured assembly meets their expectations. They also said Toyota is willing to pay a fair price for thier products.

The guys noted DC is the weirdest. DC will sometimes spec a part that would work in an Abrams tank but was total overkill for a particular vehicle. Then on the other hand underspec a part for another vehicle.

They said GM was by far and away the worst customer. GM's major concern was about the bottom dollar price over the quality of the parts plus GM wouldn't approve design changes even if it was in their best interest. GM would also try to hold back 10% of all payments due.

These guys were all really worried about their jobs. They believe GM and Ford will not survive in their current form and most of their parts outsourcing and manufactured assemblies are going to be off shore.

This may sound crazy but they were also talking about some major suppliers of parts and manufactured assemblies actually getting together and fielding their own vehicles outside of the traditional auto manufacturers. Anybody heard anything about this?

I've heard that several times, don't know where it comes from though...My 2wd King cab is rated for 1570 lbs payload.

===

The 05 Titan crew cab 4x4 is rated for less than 1200 pounds total payload. I specifically tracked down that number as I tend to load up my truck. Even Consumer Reports magazine mentions this.

For me, and maybe only me, the extra 500 pounds capacity of a Z71 is needed. Sure you could respring the rear, but what a hassle.

The extra hardware of 4x4 reduces specified load capacity of most trucks.

BlackBuzzard

They said GM was by far and away the worst customer. GM's major concern was about the bottom dollar price over the quality of the parts plus GM wouldn't approve design changes even if it was in their best interest. GM would also try to hold back 10% of all payments due.

Toyota rejects more of our parts than just about all the others combined.

The GM "worst customer" is true.It first started years ago when GM hired a guy named Jose Ignacio Lopez de Arriortua Lopez.All we knew him by was Lopez. He went to ALL of his suppliers demanding cuts,or mighty GM would take their business elsewhere.Well,all the suppliers did find ways to make the "cuts" but you can guess how that happened.

At the time I was in the plastic injection molding end,so all we started doing was cutting our own corners.We started searching for our own suppliers that could give us some cheap filler(and still keep us within specs) to mix in with the GM batch runs.In the end GM saved a few dollars,and got a very low quality part. LOL- the part we made for the Nissan Altima was of a higher quality than the part we sent to the Cadillac Hamtramck plant.

Thankfully the company I work for now does most of its business with Nissan,Toyota,and Ford.We still do a good amount of GM work,but they aren't our "bread & butter" like the other three. ....especially Toyota.:banghead:

I can't really comment on DC.We did get a contract offer from them,but what they wanted was more trouble than it was worth.Had we had some other business with them we would've probably taken it,but since we had zero ties with them, we passed on it.

I can chime in about the GM:

School teacher has a new silverado. 40 k miles water pump went. just rolled to 70k and tranny went out. And the dealer doesnt really want to fix it at all!!!

Dad has a 98 Sierra 3500 work truck. Water pump went out at 80k. A/C compressor went out at 60k. Brakes only last 20k or so, and theres a pinhole leak in the back of the motor (due to the Dexcool that is used)

Friend has a 01 Sierra V6 shortbed reg cab. Rear end went at 60k. Started makin funny tickin noises when running, and a whirring noises after he starts it warm. Plastic items randomly breaking inside.

I have lost all faith in GM vehicles. That's why when looking for a new truck to replace the 75 Chevy that gave me so many problems, I went for a 99 Tacoma. 10k miles later and I havent put one extra penny in it. Just regular maintence and recently did the timing belt change. The only work I have done to it is preventive maintence...

-Phill

I need a new truck. Anyone have any thoughts on the Titan? I don't want Chevy again (I think they've given up and are waiting on '07), I just didn't like the Ford. I like Dodge. I really do. But I wan't a full crew cab. The extended cab is not quite big enough and the Mega cab is, well, MEGA. Holy crap is that thing big.

Any known problems, issues, etc. w/ the Titan.

only thing i have heard of is the brake recall, a co worker has the double cab and he had to have the whole front brakes redone caliper and all, they also turned his rear brakes he only has 16K miles on the truck. other than that the seats are hard and uncomfortable, interior looks kind of cheesy, and the bed is real small, but the only truck i would own besides a chevy or gmc is a toyota