How do you guys work around that black box?

Okay, I need to pull my carb off for the first time to check the jetting. How in the world do you work around the carburetor with that oil seperator in the way, its a major pain in the :banghead: It don't seem to come out without first removing the CCT. I guess I just keep swearing and work around it. :banghead: I would like to take if off but everyone says I'll be sorry if I did?

Work from the other side of the bike (shifter side) and it'll be easier. You can turn the carb towards you to access the float bowl without even taking the carb completely out. :banghead:

Can you access the needle from the top if you remove the gas tank?

Can you access the needle from the top if you remove the gas tank?
It's in your best interest to take it right out...you don't want to be fumbleing around with little parts in an awkward place like that. Plus dirt may fall in your carb. Like I said a tire iron and you'll have it out in 15 min.

It's in your best interest to take it right out...you don't want to be fumbleing around with little parts in an awkward place like that. Plus dirt may fall in your carb. Like I said a tire iron and you'll have it out in 15 min.

Agreed, I thought he was just checking out his actual jets. The needle is a bit more difficult to access, but in the future when the needle is in its correct position...remember you can just roll the carb to mess with the jets.

Also, I'm glad that on my first carb-out experience, I was glad to mess with it on a workbench and not in the bike. Makes you much more knowledgeable around the carb in the future.

another "easy" way to work on the carb is;

remove rear section of exhaust

remove rear suspension linkage

remove rear shock

at this point it is really easy to get to the carb from the right rear side of the bike.

of course it is like hitting your thumb to cure a headache.

I can take my time R&R'ing the BSR carb, rejetting, and be ready to ride in 1 hour start to finish. it just takes a little practice. I do remove the 1 bolt that holds the black box, but I don't remove the black box or it's hoses.

I removed my FCR tonight, I take the rear of the exhaust, and the black box off. The black box being removed really helps me see if the boots are fully on when I put the carb back on. With the box on it is hard to see if the rear boot is fully seated. It took me about an hour and a half from start to finish to remove the carb, install a Scotts fuel screw which included drilling the float bowl, and put everything back together.

That black box is a pain alright...Wish there was a way to get rid of it

and still have the bike function properly without endangering the engine

operation...I know that people who have the Edelbrock Carb get a T-adapter

to connect the hoses together and bypass (get rid of) the box...

But BURNED says to leave it...So I leave it..

ive never found it to be in the way.

Come on burned! Your telling me on a 400E that black box is not a major pain?

The carb won't even rotate a little bit with that thing there.

Anyway what I ended up doing is removing the rear section of exhaust, then pulling the box, much more finger room that way and, that allowed me to rotate the carb. :banghead: