Sign in to follow this  

CRF450X or KTM 450/525 EXC?

Gday all,

I am reasonably new to the dirt bike scene so plz ignore my ignorance if it shines through every now and then. The bikes listed in the title are the bikes that i have been most exposed to as good choices. Specifically I'm after a bike which is 1. Highway capable (i.e. preferably 110kph cruising) 2. Not to heavy (still manouvarable on smaller tracks) 3. Not too much balls (remembering I'm reasonably new to the scene). I have been told that the CRF isn't any good at sustained highway travel (by a moron though, so I'm not sure how true it is). Obviously these bikes arn't built for road but I would definatly need highway capability which is why KTM is a consideration. I would very much appreciate any insight and/or experience that people could part with including other bikes which I havn't mentioned. PS I'm not all that keen on those hybrids which have road tyres and decreased ground clearance. Thanks for your help in advance. Cheers. :banghead:

the CRF is not suited to the road much at all ( the moron was right), even the KTM u will have to keep up the mateinance on, but no where near as much as the honda, IMO, the KTM is the better bike, better ergo's better parts from stock, and an all round nicer finnish and ride!! and you get alot with the bike around $1500 worth of extra's with the bike,+ whatever u can get out of the dealer.

110km cruising is easy , my 525 can do that and a whole lot more:) the only thing that worry's me is the KTM 525 has alot of balls, but it my opinion , it is a totally useable power range and not unpredictable on the standard gearing from the factory,but the power is there on tap if you want it, but it depends on your ability and experience on a bike.

i would have to tell yu if your useing this bike as a commutng vehicle , most days off the week, they are not meant for it , i would recomend an XR 400, of something simmilar, they can handle prolonged highway use!

but if your looking for an ocational commuter bike and a real awesome dirt machine

the 525 will not let you down, have a browse through the KTM.. 250/400/450/520/525 forum on this site.

go to your local dealer and take one for a test ride!!if it's to much for you, i think an XR would be your ticket...good luck with your decision,

Be careful of the KTM for highway use.

They specifically warn you its gearbox is not designed for continued use on these types of solid surfaces. That's why they and most other Motards run cush hubs, to dampen the drive train shock loads. 6 speed box is great, the problem is the gears have to be narrower to fit in the space available, hence their inability to handle continuous shockloads from an undamped drive train. In dirt, its not a problem, the harsh load being dissipated through the rear wheel spinning up.

Be careful of the KTM for highway use.

They specifically warn you its gearbox is not designed for continued use on these types of solid surfaces. That's why they and most other Motards run cush hubs, to dampen the drive train shock loads. 6 speed box is great, the problem is the gears have to be narrower to fit in the space available, hence their inability to handle continuous shockloads from an undamped drive train. In dirt, its not a problem, the harsh load being dissipated through the rear wheel spinning up.

smart arse!! :banghead:

Specifically I'm after a bike which is 1. Highway capable (i.e. preferably 110kph cruising) 2. Not to heavy (still manouvarable on smaller tracks) 3. Not too much balls (remembering I'm reasonably new to the scene).

Those are great bikes for what they do best, but based on your stated requirements I think you are on the wrong short list. You probably want a more street friendly middelweight dualsport like a DRZ400S, that is street legal but still very dirt capable. The other bikes certainly have more "balls" but are also more focussed pure dirt bikes that don't lend themseleves well to prolonged street use.

If your in the Sydney area,I understand there are some GasGas dealers around. The FSE450 comes stock with an electric horn, daytime headlight with on/off switch, a second main headlight bulb with on/off switch and high/low beam, a high beam flasher button, turn signal switch with a wiring harness ready for turn signals if you wanted(the holes are already predrilled), a nice digital odometer with miles or kilometers and speed, rear brake light, a keyed ignition,handlebar lock and a six speed trans. In my opinion, a very capable and reliable bike in the rough. And no, it's not as heavy as it sounds, I think it feels lighter than my friends WR450. Click on "my garage" for a picture.

The GasGas is best, if you have the dealer support. That's the only reason i'm not on a Husky myself.

Triumphs nailed it.

If you want a trail scoot that'll "Freeway", get the KLX (In Autralia) and have at it!

Fair-A-Dinkum...

Firstly thanks to everyone for taking the time to put in their advice on this matter I appreciate it :banghead: .

I have come to the conclusion that I was being unrealistic about the dual characteristics of these bikes (I wanted the best of both worlds :banghead: ). Out of curiosity is it the sustained throttle which makes these bikes bad on the highway? I was thinking of alternatively chucking it on a trailer to get it where it needs to go but I am keen to open it up on both the beach and long trails (fire trails ect) as well as more technical tracks. If it cant handle highway exposure will it handle beach at higher speeds? also when I trailer it to the area where riding is to be concentrated are these bikes ok for shorter, lower speed or variable speed stints (i.e. from around town to ferry to beach and on roads between trails ect). Unfortunately I'm hooked on these two bikes, and lack exposure to the husky's or gas gas variety. I was told by someone that by changing the sprockets you can achieve better gearing for on road ventures (between trails and around town), is there any credence to this? I wouldn't use it as a commute vehicle during the week anyhow. Also is it advisable (in a pinch) when requiring a short highway stint just to limit the speed? Again plz try to ignore my newbie terminology :lol: , thanks guys!

I would look seriously at something like an XR650 for the type of riding you want to do.

Could be a good compromise?

I really like the new Husky's. I wish someone would actually sell them! :banghead:

Town and Country sells Huskys in Sussex NJ. just a FYI :banghead: