Sign in to follow this  

What is the ultimate singletrack 250x setup

Eastern single track, mud rocks and hill climbs. 210 lb rider. No upper end speed needed.

1. All CCC mods

2. All CCC mods with Stage 1 Hot cam (low to mid-range)

3. All CCC mods with 270 kit

4.All CCC mods, 270 kit, Hot Cam

5. All CCC mods with 302 Kit

Or, what would you put together?

#2 with a Hi compression piston.

or #4

2,3,4,5, all make the crf250 very sweet, all depends on your wallet.

any specific piston you would recommend?

JE seems popular here among the tuners but I have used wiseco and they have held up fine. I do not mic every piston and the bore when I replace them...I should but I don't... the JE is supposed to have tighter clearances.

Eastern single track, mud rocks and hill climbs. 210 lb rider. No upper end speed needed.

1. All CCC mods

Similar stuff to what I ride in WETstern Washington, wet, snot, roots, rolling rock and fixed snotting rocks etc.

You want smoooooooooooooth, a bit of boost at 200+ is wonderful.

I have countless hours on my bike, same conditions, and its the funnest, bestest (is that a word?) bike for these conditions I have ever ridden or borrowed and rode in gosh...30+ years of thinking I know how to ride!

:lol:

My set up, Im 6'3" 225, keyed in on smooth, reliable, roomy and gobs of smooth hook up traction.

Fit/Size

Pro-tapers, Pastrana Bend (5" tall, dont need any risers) rolled forward in the clamps

Fastway Fit pegs in the lowboy/back position (no need for a new/tall seat with these two)

Normal protection for cases, radiators, hands (personal choice on that one.

Smoooooth stuff

JD Jetting kit.

Powernow blade (this bike responds wonderfully to this mod)

Airbox open

Backfire screen in (no change except at like 10,000 rpms and higher, dynos prove this out)

Stock cam

Stock valves (still)

Thumper Racing 270 kit (my oh wow oh my smooth big ++++ across the board power, perfect boost in the snot and single track)

Stock exhaust (sneaky quiet is good) but I did "open up" the inner baffle for more flow with the 270 kit, noticed a difference, no noise change.

Getting it to the ground

If its not wet (summer) I run a Michelin S-12 rear with a HD tube.

Wet = IRC Radial Trials Tire, TUBELESS, with a HD tube at about 8 psi, with two rimlocks. You can not beat this for traction in this environment, period.

Stock gearing, although with the 270 kit I cold drop two-three teeth in the rear easy and pull hard.

Front sticking better?

FastWay suspension link- wonderful change in precision in the rocks and single track, totally tightened up the "steering".

92 oct pump gase

Rotella-T Synthetic both sides.

Good Luck, this works for me like a champ.

I also own a Gas Gas SE-300, and for the snot and tight, it gets left in the garage, every single time, and the Gasser ROCKS!....

HR

:banghead:

:banghead:

Hi Hawaii. I sure appreciate your post.

What great information. When I have the money I will go to the 270 Kit. I am a single parent and supporting 2 bikes.

Do you think the Hot Cam Stage 1 will hurt the 270 kit?

I have wanted the fastway link forever but I could never decide because of different posts. Some love it and a few have removed it. How do you have it setup and what is the part number?

Do you change the tire on the rim or have a complete spare setup with rim?

Why does a trials tire work so well in the mud? I thought a trials tire was smoother.

1. All CCC mods

What are CCC mods?

I would have to say by far my bigggest advantage was the RPM 302 Kit....this bike rips...and the tight stuff it shines...now there is no more 450's passing me on the long uphills like before with all CCC mods and pipe....now its the little 250 (302) doing it back to them....if you have the extra coin to the Leo Vince full system too...wow what gains there....:lol:

Can't believe nobody yet has mentioned stiffer springs. IMHO that's the best upgrade you could do. I too weigh 210 and ride similar stuff to what you mention here in MI. I've done all the CCC mods to my X and just recently installed stock 450x fork and shock spring I got from eBay. WOW, what a difference! I've got the front end compression set very soft now and the front end is just beautiful. Is controllable and sticks to the line, yet is super plush.

Anyway, I think you'd get the most bang from your buck by doing the CCC mods then getting some 450x springs front and rear.

The Thumper Racing 270 kit gets my vote - relatively cheap and the performance in the woods is impressive. The 270/280/3xx kits are just more of the same.

Check out the 2007 R head with or without RHC's coated Ferrea intake valves for longevity.

What are CCC mods?

Check it out:

CRF250X Introduction

CRF250X Big Bore

Can't believe nobody yet has mentioned stiffer springs. IMHO that's the best upgrade you could do. I too weigh 210 and ride similar stuff to what you mention here in MI. I've done all the CCC mods to my X and just recently installed stock 450x fork and shock spring I got from eBay. WOW, what a difference! I've got the front end compression set very soft now and the front end is just beautiful. Is controllable and sticks to the line, yet is super plush.

Anyway, I think you'd get the most bang from your buck by doing the CCC mods then getting some 450x springs front and rear.

from a .42 to a .47 wow thats a big jump in springs!! Race tech chart shows .45 for 210lbs, but that seem stiff too me.

I am at 190, and want to try a marginal change to .43 or .44. Rear shock maybe a 5.0 .

I too put on the 450 springs and love(ed) them. Seems like something has changed, or my riding has just sucked lately. I need to soften the compression I think, having a tough time getting the front end to stick. I put a new Pirelli MT18 on the front and loved it at first. Could it be the cold weather affecting the fork oil? Or the tire too hard? It's the "Heavy Duty" version with really stiff sidewalls, probably ok for the summertime, but brutal in the cold (if you can call 40 degrees cold)

And, like Ramz said, a big bore kit. Santa got be an Athena 280, and I'm one phone call away from an RHC 07 R head, ferrera valves, and maybe the 192 cam. Time to kick some 450 KTM butt !!!!

from a .42 to a .47 wow thats a big jump in springs!! Race tech chart shows .45 for 210lbs, but that seem stiff too me.

I am at 190, and want to try a marginal change to .43 or .44. Rear shock maybe a 5.0 .

I'm 185 and am at .44 / 5.1 and couldn't be happier. The suspension is perfect (for rough trail riding - not mx).

• Like 1

I'm 185 and am at .44 / 5.1 and couldn't be happier. The suspension is perfect (for rough trail riding - not mx).

thanks for the feedback. gave you some gas!!

I am going the same direction your at.

• Like 1